Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Shawl That Made Us Smile

Dear Prayer Warriors,

My daughter Leslie has reacted to my illness by becoming ultra helpful. During a recent trip to Walmart, she had to carry all three bags herself to the car. Mommy wasn't allowed to carry a thing. If there is one piece of pizza left at dinner, she wants me to have it. If I ask her to do anything, she hustles to get it done. It is very sweet.

But this morning Leslie woke up yelling for me. It turns out she had a nightmare. The nightmare was that "Mommy had died." When she told me about it it nearly broke my heart. At first I told her all the usual comforting things, "It's just a nightmare. Mommy is going to be okay." But none of these things seemed to completely convince her.

Fortunately I had a little Godincidence to share with Leslie. Many of you remember that my Dad was praying one day and had a vision of me as a Grandmother, wrapped in a shawl and reading a book to my grandchildren. A couple weeks ago a dear friend of mine at coop gave me a beautiful crocheted shawl. She told me that she had started it several weeks ago with no one in particular in mind. She just felt the right person to give it to would come to her, and after my diagnosis, she felt led to give it to me.

Today I showed the shawl to Leslie. I told her about my friend and about my dad's vision. She is upstairs right now all cuddled up in it. It is more like a blanket on her than a shawl, covering her from head to toe. The good news is she is also smiling from ear to ear. The shawl isn't the exact same color as described by my Dad but that doesn't matter a bit. It sure is a wonderful Godincidence to me (and to little Leslie). Lots of love,

Kerry

8 comments:

  1. Dear Kerry,

    Your story has brought me to tears. I feel so badly that you have to go through this terrible illness, but I know that you are strong, not only physically but spiritually in your faith in GOD, and you'll get through this. GOD will take care of you. It breaks my heart that your sweet little innocent girls have to go through these fears. Sometimes adults seem to forget how knowledgeable and sensitive small children are, but it sounds that you, through GOD, have things under control. I just wish I could be there to give Leslie and the whole family a big hug. I'll keep praying for you all everyday.

    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry,

    I am thankful that you had the shawl to give Leslie. I don't think anything said could have helped her as much as the gift. Children (and all of us) need tangible items to hold onto somethimes. I am so thankful that you were led to approach the situation as you were and Leslie is comforted.
    I have been praying for Laura and Leslie, but am thankful to know to specifically pray for Leslie in this area. Some children (like Leslie) are natural encouragers and seem to feel others pain. They naturally feel the need to respond. I am not only praying that Leslie will be comforted, but that God will use this experience to teach her the value of compassion, faith, hope and love. I am praying this for Laura as well. This experience isn't what I would have chosen for any of you, but I am confident God's hand is upon you and He will bring you through. I am so excited to see the plan God has for Laura and Leslie's lives. (Not to mention what those grandchildren of yours look like. By the way, did Dad mention whether I had any?) We will have so much fun seeing who they are "becoming".
    I love you so much, Kerry. I wish so much I could make this easier. You and Randy are doing such a great job. I am so proud of you. I am praying the sweetest of dreams for all of you.
    Remember how much I love you,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kerry, I also got a shawl during my theapy. A ladies group passed it around as they prayed for me. God is so good! He is perfect in all His ways. So neat you knew just how He planned on giving your daughter comfort. Yes, He is in complete control. Die cancer, Die!
    Love, Evie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry, That is so sweet. God is so amazing - knowing that Leslie would be comforted by that shawl. I had tears welling up in my eyes. Im still thinking about you and praying for you everyday. Keep smiling and remember you are loved so very much.

    Hugs and God Bless
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kerry,

    Wow, I can just picture Leslie covered up in that shawl, with a huge all encompassing smile over her face, her tears and fears forgotten. Come to think of it, Leslie is almost always smiling, even EARLY in the morning!!! Isn't it neat that you were given that shawl a couple of weeks ago, about the same time Dad had his vision!!
    I am so comforted by Dad's vision, because I know what a strong, secure foundation of love and faith he has always provided for us. What a neat God-incidence this is!!!!
    As Mitzi said, I will be praying for all of you and especially Laura and Leslie. Laura is coping with this also, in a way that may be totally different from Leslie, but every bit as real. We will be praying that God will cover and shelter you with his love and peace and that you will feel his arms around you just as Leslie felt the warmth of the shawl. We love you all dearly! Tell Laura and Leslie I'm sending a big e-hug :-)

    Your big sis,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet little Leslie. God bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Kerry,
    What a beautiful blog.

    How wonderful that your dad was able to share his vision with you and that you had recieved the shawl - what a Godincidence and what a gracious loving God we have to have provided both of these incidents at just the right time that you needed to comfort your own child. God is our comforter just as you are to your children. He knows what we need before we even know ourselves.

    Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers along with Laura, Leslie and Randy. God will continue to give you the words and encourgement that you need to comfort your girls.

    Much love,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear Kerry!
    What a heartbreaking thing to deal with on top of everything else to deal with; however, I KNOW YOU can handle this if anyone can. Leslie will soon see that you ARE and WILL be okay! She is lucky to have such a positive, faithful, and endearing mother! You are such a wonderful example for all of us!

    "This too shall pass! GOD is in control!"
    Di

    ReplyDelete