Saturday, August 15, 2009

Radiation Week #2 Done & Counting Down to Cookie Day!

Hello friends and family!

I have now gone to radiation 5 days a week for two weeks. 10 treatments down 23 to go. I still am not experiencing any discomfort. In a two week period I will have seen 4 doctors (my Medical Oncologist, my Surgeon, my Primary Care Physician and the Radiation Oncologist). This has become fairly routine and I am looking forward to the day when I can go a whole month without a doctor's appointment. All the doctors say I am doing well and very pleased with my progress. Needless to say Laura and Leslie have been real troopers and well behaved except for one appointment last week when they got into a pillow fight in the doctor's office and hit the doctor! Oh the insanity of it all. Fortunately the doctor has kids and a great sense of humor.
I can laugh about it now although I didn't then.

It is funny what becomes routine. My kids usually sleep in their clothes for the next day to help us get off early enough in the morning. They looked at me strangely Friday night when I said they could put on their nightgowns to sleep in since we didn't have a treatment the next day. We usually eat cereal out of the bag in the car for breakfast so today I made a point of fixing a big, sit down breakfast of bacon and eggs for them.

Thursday has become an exciting day of the week for the girls because it is cookie day at the treatment center. They have all sorts of cookies...peanut butter, chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, macadamia nut. There is one elderly couple we run into every morning. The husband has cancer. You should have seen the smile on his face when he told my girls about cookie day. It is amazing to see what a difference even the smallest, thoughtful gesture can make. Now every weekday my girls are counting down to the next cookie day.

It may sound strange to say it but "counting down to the next cookie day" has become a sort of philosopy of mine I adopted early on in my diagnosis and has served me well ever since. I think if you are fighting something awful like cancer it helps you to always have something coming up that week to look forward to. For me it might be a getting together with family, a date night with Randy, a Mom's Night Out with friends, our coop, playdate with other kids or many different things. But it always helped me get through the day, even the stinky ones.

Tuesday night at the young breast cancer survivor's meeting I met a girl who was just diagnosed. She was starting her chemo treatment the very next day. She was obviously nervous. She said she would have rejected doing the chemo altogether if it wasn't for her family. She asked for some advice from us. It told her how I lived a full life on chemo, that she'd get through it. But the most important advice I gave her was that you should always have something to look forward to. That has made the biggest difference for us. Laura and Leslie are battling cancer too and for them it is cookie day. Thank goodness for cookie day! Hope you have your equivalent to cookie day to look forward to. Lots of love,

Kerry

8 comments:

  1. When does your Leslie turn 7? My Lexi turns 7 on the 30th of this month. SHe was the hardest one to tell. I bought a book about it and read it to her but I started crying halfway through the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry! Funny thing -- my name is Karen, but my grandmother and some other close family members used to call me Kerry when I was young! Yes, I remember that every Thursday (the same day as your "cookie day") was doughnut day at our radiation suite! I, too, looked so forward to that day as did my two girls, age 7 and 10, at the time! I could really relate to your comment! Glad you finished 2 weeks of radiation; there really is an end in sight -- just hang in there and keep looking for those cookies in the meantime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,

    So glad to hear the radiation is going well. The Lord definitely has you wrapped in His love and protection!It was so good to see you last month when you came to VA! You looked absolutely wonderful and amazing!! Your attitude, your ability to see beyond today, and especially your relationship and faith in the Lord continually inspire me. I know that I and many others have said this many, many times....but, you honesty are an amazing person! Keep looking forward to those "cookie days" and tell Laura and Leslie to eat a macadamia nut cookie for me (or maybe 2 for me)!

    Love,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story, Kerry. I am blessed right now in life. I feel like I eat cookies every day. It is such a blessing. The things I worry about are small things right now. The things that matter are all in place. I try not to take that for granted, as I know all too well how fast that can change. I remember when Rafe was hurt and I tried so hard to figure out WHEN was cookie day coming. WHEN??? I didn't see it in the near future. I searched for a cookie day to look forward to, and I couldn't predict when it would come. I can't even tell you how BUSY I was just trying to care for my family. But I think you know. But cookie DAYS came (notice the plural!). I am so thankful. One day soon, you will have cookie DAYS, when you don't have to go see the doctor for a month, like you said, and you can eat cookies every day! And what a blessing those days are, and how you will appreciate them! I look forward to that WITH you. You have been so brave, and you are doing great! God is seeing you through this, and He has great cookies for you too! Meredith gave me Jeremiah 29:11, when I was very sad a long long time ago. God's plans are our cookies too!
    Your friend,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sweet Kerry,

    I am so glad that you have two weeks of radiation behind you and no side-effects! Your energy and optimistec attitude are inspiring, especially considering all that this year has brought. We'll be praying that there are no problems for the next 23 days.

    I am sometimes amazed at how little it takes to really lift and encourage someone else. Of course, how can you go wrong with cookies :-) We will be praying for many, many more cookie days in the near future. Please try one of the chocolate chip cookies for me and tell me if they come even close to Mitzi's :-) We love you and are lifting you up to God daily.

    Your big sis,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry,

    I just wanted to say that I love your playlist. There is always an awesome song playing when I check in on your progress.

    Christy C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ditto Chrity's post. Your playlist is so uplifting and reminds us that God is with us!
    That's great that radiation is going so well. It did for my husband,too... it was just time consuming. The clinic provided a car and driver but it was a 45 minute drive each way.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kerry,

    I am glad you are moving through the third week of radiation. You are doing such a great job! Is today cookie day? I hope you got a chocolate chip!
    I am thankful that you haven't had side effects up until this week. I will be so glad to see this behind you.
    I pray for you constantly.
    I love you so much, Kerry.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete