Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dancing Inside & Out



Angie and me
"Sister Survivors"
Survivor's Luncheon 2009





Hello everyone!

Guess what? I had no doctor's appointments this week. None! No temperature or blood pressure checks. No weigh ins. No baggy, drafty hospital gowns. I've had my first week cancer treatment free! It feels so wonderful!

It feels as though I am dancing inside.

I am still a little sunburned from the radiation but it is getting better. I am currently sporting lots of shrugs. It is a great fashion accessory for breast cancer patients I must say. Whenever someone comments on my new spiky hair look I am quite proud to credit it to my "Short and Sexy Hair Gel." It gets me lots of laughs. Yes that really is the brand name. Being that I am a short person as well I like to think the whole look goes beyond the hair gel. Now all I need to do is wear my diva sunglasses and hair gel at the same time. I just don't know if the world out there is ready for all that "divaness" yet.

I guess the only thing that has surprised me this week is that I've felt a little overwhelmed getting back to the routine. You'd think it would be easy and it is for the most part. It's just the things that I've put off for a while I feel like I now have to pick back up as though nothing has happened. Suddenly I expect myself to be back 100%. It is silly I know and I am getting back into the old "normal" life happily now one day at a time.

Last Friday Randy and I went to a survivor's luncheon. The speaker was Dr. Farris Jordan, a psychologist. He was hilarious. He talked about how the best way to battle bad news is to have a great attitude.

He said whenever people deliver him bad news in his office now they do it with a funny dance and everyone automatically handles it so much better. For example, the secretary might say "The computer is broken" while doing the hokie pokie. We have started doing the dance at our house too. Randy was taking the trash out last week and commented on how yucky it was while "getting down." You should have seen my kids' faces when I said "Lucky you, you have a math test today" while doing a "staying alive" dance move. (Unfortunately the joke was lost on them!)

At the survivor's luncheon I had the privilege of sitting with two friends and former coworkers, Whitney and Amy. I also got to see Angie (my Cancer Vixen reading buddy), give her a shirt and get our picture made together.

For 5 months now I have been corresponding with a survivor I met through a relative via Facebook. She got diagnosed about four months after I did. I watched her go through the same treatments I did right after me rooting her on the whole way. Friday I got to meet her face to face for the first time and give her a box with items to help her through her upcoming surgery. All of this gave me such joy.

This week I heard the song "I Hope you Dance" on the radio. I remember first hearing that song when I was pregnant with Laura. At that time I remember having such hopes for that first child, such dreams and wishes. I will always associate that song with her. It is interesting to hear it now after battling cancer. It truly captures how every moment is precious and how life (good and bad) is best faced with, as that speaker put it, a happy dance. Hope you are dancing too. Lots of love,

Kerry

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kerry! Glad to hear that you're doing well and that the doctors' appointments are less frequent. It's great that you're "dancing" too! Hang in there; it is usually 2-3 months between appointments for me these days, and although I am never completely used to them, they are now a part of my routine - my "new normal." I admit it, I also do a little happy dance after each one!

    Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kerry,

    I am so glad that you are cancer treatment free now and are dancing :-) I'll have to try those dance moves on my kids today and see what kind of reaction I get. It will probably scare them to death :-) My dance moves may be very outdated, but I still have some coordination :-)
    I think it's amazing how many people you have met and encouraged during your breast cancer struggle. I'm so glad you got to see Whitney, Amy, Angie and your new friend at the luncheon.
    We'll be praying that the transition to all the regular stuff that had to sit on the back-burner for a while will be smoother and not be overwhelming:-) Hope you dance today!

    All my love,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you keep dancing!
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kerry,

    It is a beautiful day here in Virginia. I always appreciate the "new beginning" that comes with each new morning. Each day is a new opportunity to "dance" and appreciate all of our many blessings.
    I hope today is an unusually great day for you.
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much we all love you.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete