Friday, January 15, 2010

My 1st Cancerversary

Saturday January 16th is my first cancerversary. It will be a year ago from the day when I was officially diagnosed with breast cancer.

A doctor actually looked me in the eye on January 7th of last year and told me I had it, but I didn't officially get diagnosed until the test results came back on the 16th.

January of last year was truly the most awful month in my life. Ironically, it was also the most miraculous month of my life. It was when things were the worst that I felt God's love and presence the most.

I have a friend whose house burned down a few weeks ago, two days after Christmas. She said whenever she gets frightened or worried about where they are going to live day to day and how they are going to get by she can immediately feel a presence intervene on her behalf. She described it as an invisible hand that comes between her and those dark emotions and holds them back just when she needs it. I thought that was such a beautiful description.
January 16 will always be my cancerversary. I would like to mark it by doing something special and meaningful every year.  A few weeks ago I read a story in the newspaper about a woman whose son died long ago. On the anniversary of his death, she goes and visits his favorite park. She's been doing it for 30+ years. I would like my cancerversary to be like that.

Hope the new year is being as good a blessing to you as it is to me. Lots of love,

Kerry

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Kerry! Congratulations on your first year -- one of many more to come! I had a party last year on my cancerversary, had cake with pink icing, lots of my favorite foods, and my closest friends all around me. I didn't tell my guests what the party was for, but as soon as they saw the cake, they figured it out. Lots of hugs followed, some tears. Life is precious; share it with those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry,

    I have been dreading this day ever since we started the new year. It was such a difficult day. I remember dad calling me with the biopsy results. I was so worried that I was in a cleaning frenzy (very unusual). I was standing on the steps with the swifter. I was so anxious I carried the phone around with me.
    The year ahead looked so overwelming.
    It was such a difficult year for you, Kerry, but you are through it. You are here, cancer-free and today is a great day!
    I am sending a great big hug your way!
    Take care of yourelf, Kerry.
    Remember how much we all love you.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my anniversary in October. I'd almost forgotten it. But like you, the year was frightening but filled with miracles. I found myself reflecting on the year, and filled with such gratitude that I cried. I simply cried. The Bible is filled with stories of God's mighty works. It is amazing to me that the God of the old Testament is the God of the new Testament, and he is the self same God still at work in the world this day. Our God is an awesome God, and I will mark that anniversary with praise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May this anniversary be a time of reflection, prayer and praise!

    I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. —Psalm 9:1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura from PhiladelphiaJanuary 16, 2010 at 11:31 PM

    Thinking of you today...
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry,

    I would love to see you celebrate your cancerversary in a special way each year! It's great to give thanks for every year and to look back on what God has done with and for you in 2009. If you need some ideas Mitzi and I can help you come up with some :) I like Karen's idea a lot. We love you Kerry and are so thankful to God for bringing you through this difficult time!!!

    We will lift you up in prayer the 26th and pray that your stamina is back quickly!

    All my love,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete