Monday, January 25, 2010

Reconstruction Junction aka "Look Out Bionic Woman! Here I Come!"

Hello dear family and friends!

Tomorrow morning I am having my first reconstructive surgery. I am a little nervous, but also excited. Alot of people I've told about reconstruction automatically assume that it is just breast implant surgery, but it is not. That is a later surgery.

Tomorrow's surgery is the first of three surgeries and the most complicated. The surgeon will take skin and muscle from my back and transplant it over my left chest to "rebuild" it. As I understand it, the radiation and scaring has damaged my original skin. By replacing the skin they can implant a temporary muscle expander which will have to be injected with saline on 6-7 different occassions to fully stretch the skin. I have surfed the net doing research so I know what to expect with the scars when I come out of surgery. It seems a bit morbid I know but it did serve me well last time with the mastectomy and prevented some of the initial shock. Plus I have already had the muscle expander put in on the right side so I know what it feels like and will only have one side affected this go around. 

As I picture myself on the operating table one funny thing is I keep having the themes from those 70's shows 'The Six Milion Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" running through my head. Obviously there is no comparison here but it has made me laugh.

Laura and Leslie are up at Aunt Mitzi's house. It is strangely quiet around here and we miss them, but Randy and I are thankful that they are safe, happy and having lots of fun.

I really appreciated everyone's comments about my cancerversary in the last post. I have decided to celebrate it each year by dropping off a care package at the cancer ward where I was treated. It seems like a fitting way to celebrate. I am mailing out two today. One to a bc sister and one to a child with cancer.

It is so nice to be getting on with life. I have become quite the organic eating, vegetable-chopping chef around here. I hope to participate in the Knoxville Covenant Health 5 K coming up late March. We are planning family trips again...looking ahead to the future while still enjoying the moment. Despite the fact that I was diagnosed with cancer and Randy with diabetes this year, I actually have aspirations that I will be "better than I was before....better, stronger, faster."  When all this is said and done, maybe I will be healthier.  I may be only 5 feet 1 inches tall but every bit of me cries out, "Look out Bionic woman! Here I come!" Lots of love to all,

Kerry

12 comments:

  1. I have ALREADY been thinking about you this morning. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL, Kerry. I was singing from the choir loft yesterday morning and could see your girls in the congregation singing "I'm Trading My Sorrows" and when they got to the "Yes Lord" part, they had their arms pumping like choo-choo trains. I am SURE you know what I am talking about. It was one of those moments, Kerry, they were just such blessings for me to see. I had to try not to cry up there in front of everybody. After such a rough year, they are filled with joy for the Lord. What an inspiration THEY ARE! Strong like their mom, I can see. I will be praying for you Kerry. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.
    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry (aka "Bionic Woman"),

    Know that I will be praying for you tomorrow and during the recovery period! You are so strong and giving -- I liked how you plan to celebrate each cancerversary by giving care packages to other survivors. Best wishes to you and your family, and remember that God's promises are everlasting! Praise God, that He will never, ever leave us!

    Hugs to you,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,
    You've been in my thoughts and prayers during this past week. Somehow, although I keep forgetting everything else, I remembered that your surgery was coming up. Keep those theme songs running through your head during the next days (you must have an amazing "music" memory!).

    You *will* come out of this healthier, stronger, more alive than you ever have been. Take care and much love,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry,

    We are having so much fun up here, but we all will be thinking of you tomorrow. I am thankful you are ready to have the reconstruction and will be glad to see you past this surgery.
    The girls have been outside playing on the swing of death (quite safe) and building a playground in the woods (we need more adventure).
    We went to the YMCA this afternoon and went swimming. My plan is to wear them all into exhaustion!
    Keep taking care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much we all love you.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry, we love you so much. You have come such a long way this year, and in the process you have touched and are touching so many of us. Your faith and courage is so inspiring. Your empathy for others is teaching us how to be closer to our Heavenly Father. You know that papaw and I am praying for you, for Randy, for the girls and for your sisters and parents and for your aunts and cousins and mamaw as we all gather our hearts and spirits together in one accord before our God on your behalf. It has been a tough year, but you have run the race well. Happy times are ahead.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry,

    I will be praying for you tomorrow as you have your surgery. I am praying for a fast recovery. I loved your idea about taking care packages to the cancer ward every year. I think that is a great way to celebrate your recovery while blessing others!! Take care and know that we are praying for you!

    Love,
    Brooke :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you all the best Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kerry,

    Just poppin' in to say hi and that I hope you're getting some rest! Take care! Blessings to you!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kerry,

    I'm so glad that you are getting stronger and recovering quickly from surgery. I know that you miss Laura and Leslie but it sounds like they are having an amazing time of adventure and worshipping God :) Amy, thanks for the sweet post! I can see Laura and Leslie doing just what you described :) They are filled with joy and are such blessings!

    Kerry, we will continue to lift you up in prayer and are so glad that you can look ahead to the future and enjoy the moment. We are so proud of you and the way you have wallked through this journey with courage and love. You're already a "bionic woman" to me:)

    Love,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kerry, glad this past year is done and that you are looking forward to the family. God bless you! Keep choppin' those veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that was weird. Sorry about my previous comment...I meant to say, "Glad this past year is done and that you are looking forward to the future new year." I bet you wondered when you read what I wrote. (wry smile).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been wondering how it's going.

    I am creating a website called God Is Bigger Than My Cancer and i want to include a blog roll of cancer warriors who give God the Honor and Glory. May I use yours?

    ReplyDelete