Monday, March 1, 2010

Journeys

I have just returned from the Young Survivor's breast cancer conference in Atlanta and it was truly incredible. I was there with my sister and niece as well as a bunch of sister survivors from the Thompson Cancer support group. Here's a picture of our support group.

The conference was truly a blast...so educational and inspiring. There were more than 900 women there who had felt what I've felt and experienced what I've experienced in the bc battle.

In addition my sister Shannon and niece Heather and I had some adventures around the city of Atlanta. There was a crazy new GPS system to get used to, the Hard Rock Cafe, the Phipps Plaza Mall with $3000 purses in stores like Saks 5th Ave, Versace and Valentino which took window shopping to a new level. There was lots of laughter, lots of hugs, lots of memories made.

At the conference I attended seminars on triple negative bc, clinical trials, and nutrition. All of them were very helpful. I picked up lots of great goodies to give out in my chemo kits. I met two authors, both of them mothers, who have written inspiring books on bc. The first is Lori Sorbo who wrote Eleven Years Later. She has battled 5 different kinds of cancer in the last eleven years. The second book is called A Mommy Can Love You From Anywhere by Jenny Sugg. I picked it up to give to the family of a sister survivor who couldn't make it to the conference.

Sadly I received word today that this member of our Thompson Cancer group just passed away. I first met her at the Women's Expo in March. She amazed me on that day by her spirit and faith. For many months afterward she would encourage us other survivors at our support meetings even in the midst of what she was facing. Here's to Missy B., a sister survivor in the truest sense. Lots of love,

Kerry

7 comments:

  1. Dear Kerry,

    Heather and I had such a great time with you this weekend! I'm so glad that you were able to fellowship with women who truly know what you have been through this past year. I was amazed by the love and support women who have had cancer show to others, even your sister and niece.

    I am so very sorry to hear about Missy. I know she was a special person and had tremendous courage. We will pray for her family. I think that they will love the book you bought and that it will give them some comfort. I'm so proud of you for the support and comfort that you are able to give others:)
    I love you so much!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed a weekend,but sorry to hear about your friend. I know that was hard. Wondering though, did you buy a purse??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, glad to hear that the conference was so encouraging and uplifting for you! The picture looks great!

    So sorry to hear of your friend. Sending hugs to you and yours!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing to me, the strength of the bonds between those who have walked this road. We travel together, and when someone wanders to the side of the road and stops, it brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry~
    I am so sorry to hear about your sweet sister survivor. Praying for her family and for all of the mighty warriors in your precious group.

    I just noticed your t-shirts for the first time and read the reference to your Cancer Bags. I would like to make a donation to those, if you are interested. My MIL had a BC diagnosis 2 years ago and as a result I designed this stationery for my stationery of the month club. You can see it here http://www.beautifulbabybirthannouncements.com/item_276/Breast-Cancer-Awareness--October-Stationery-of-the-Month.htm I would love to send you however many sets you would like. They are flat panel note cards with a blank back side for note writing. Jest tell me how many sets you need and and address to send them to. I will send them your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad you had an amazing time at the conference! We did too and will share your feedback with our staff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kerry,

    The pictures are fantastic! I am so glad you were able to attend the conference. You, and all the women, look great! As you indicated, you would never guess what they had endured.
    I hope you have a fantastic day, Kerry. The weather has been beautiful in Virginia.
    We are looking forward to seeing you in March!
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much we all love you.

    Love,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete