Thursday, July 23, 2009

Life is Good

Hello prayer warriors!

We are home safely from our trip. I already miss my sister and all our dear friends in Va. It feels good though to be back in TN getting ready for round 3 of my treatment...radiation.

Today I met with the Radiation Oncologist and the radiation therapist who will be overseeing my treatment. The Radiation Oncologist said again what a miraculous pathology report I had from the surgery. He said if the response on the tumors from the chemo was so great, just imagine what it did to any of those "bad cells" that might have been floating around in my system. Yippee!!

They put me through a CAT scan today. It is a big square box with what looks like a big donut hole. You just lie down and move back and forth through the opening while the machine scans you. They were getting precise pictures and data of my anatomy so that the doctor can line up angles and trajectories they will use to shoot the radiation. They also make customized molds they put against you to prevent any of the radiation from reaching your vital organs. They will be shooting side angles of the remaining chest tissues, straight on angles of my scars and also the lymph nodes near my neck for prevention. The individualized nature and preciseness of it all is very fascinating. Because my breast cancer is on the left side (near my heart) I have to use a special machine. On the plus side, it means that machine is less busy and I had my pick of the times. I will start treatment on August 3 at 8:45 am in the morning and go 5 times a week for almost 7 weeks (or 33 treatments).

I am actually excited about starting. Life is so good. I had a wonderful visit with family, there's a new school year to look forward to and still a little bit of the summer to enjoy. If life can be this good, just imagine how good eternal life must be. Lots of love,

Kerry

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kerry!

    We miss you here in Virginia, but am so thankful you are safely home. I am glad the chemo and surgery are behind you. I want you to plow through radiation and reconstruction so that you can focus on other things.
    I am sorry this has been such a difficult year for you. You have handled it so well, not just for yourself but the rest of the family. You have carried your burden with courage and grace. I am very proud of you.
    There is much to look forward to. Each school year is a fresh challenge and beginning. Every morning God's promises are of a new start and opportunity. Your cancer has taught me to appreciate the joy and beauty in each day. Let's hold onto that knowledge.
    Cancer changed everything, but life is still so good. We are surrounded and blessed by those we love. We are raising the next generation to face their own joys and challenges. I am so glad that God let me travel through life with you as my sister.
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much we all love you,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry,
    Glad to hear the trip was so much fun. Sisters are the best for helping you feel better. We're about to leave the beach and head back to Lex. Had a terrific visit with Connie, Brian and Tracy. Hated to say goodbye to them and Hate to leave the beach. We're thinking of you each and every day. Give all a big hug from us. Love Pat

    ReplyDelete