Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Psalm

Hello Dear friends and family,

I am doing great! I'm back to sleeping in the bed and rolling over. Yeah!!! I'm stuffing my bra daily and about to glue on some falsh eyelashes tonight (wish me luck). Except for these usual breast cancer oddities, all seems right with the world.

Today I thought I'd share with you something I wrote way back in January after I was first diagnosed. It was the weekend after my first chemo treatment when I attended a Pep Moms retreat. The speaker read a psalm in which King David had poured out his soul during hardship. She then had each of us write a Psalm about what was burdening us down. I remember distinctly that Casting Crown's "The Voice of Truth" was playing on a boom box at the time. I was among several who got up and shared my psalm. We all cried together over different problems, fears and worries that were burdening us down. After almost 6 months I revisited my psalm today. I guess it just shows again God's goodness. I reference a storm in my psalm several times and I must say God's grace has truly carried my family through it.

My burden is heavy Lord
So so heavy.
Cancer stinks Lord.
Some days I feel really bad.
Some days I can't do what I enjoy.
And Lord that stinks.
I want my life back.
I want my energy back.
I want normal back, Lord.
But Lord I know you are greater than cancer.
You are greater than anything Satan or this world can throw at me.
Your love will carry me through this storm.
You will carry me through this storm.
You will hold my hand. You will hold my husband's hand.
You will hold Laura and Leslie my daughters' hands
Against the waves that batter against us.
For you O Lord are great...so so great.
How great is our God. Sing with me how great is our God
And all will see how great, how great is our God.

Of course the last two lines are from the well known song, How Great Is Our God. It was the first song I heard the next Sunday in church after I was diagnosed. How blessed I have been to have gone through the storm so well. I guess all that is left now are just a few thundershowers. How good is that? If there is something burdening you down, I would encourage you to write your own psalm. It did wonders for my spirit. Lots of love,

Kerry

4 comments:

  1. Kerry,

    Isn't it amazing how God used Marla in such an amazing way that weekend.. I am glad to hear things are getting back to normal for you.. I miss you guys and think of you often..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry,
    I was on the Luna B Tee website and saw these "God is bigger than" t-shirts and somehow landed on your website. 20 minutes later I'm sitting here in tears, thanking God for the strength He's given you...and for His faithfulness to you. Your testimony, your story has touched me today and will have a lasting impression on me. May He give you peace today and continued joy!
    Sincerely,
    Emily Holdridge
    Eph 3:20
    zholdridge@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sweet Kerry,

    I remember you showing me your "psalm" several months ago and thinking what a powerful idea Marla had at that retreat. It is neat to revisit and see how God has answered your prayers and held your family's hands like you wrote about months earlier :-) God is Good!
    You are right about pouring your heart out to God when you are burdened. It is amazing how much that can lighten any load :-)
    Rest up so that you can go at full throttle next week in King George. I do wish you luck with those false eyelashes. I had a friend who got one on crooked and then couldn't get it off for several days :-) She looked like she was winking all the time, which the guys at CNC thought was hilarious. The price(not to mention humiliation) us girls pay for beauty can be high at times :-)
    Remember how much you are loved Kerry and that we are all lifting you up daily in prayer.

    Your sis,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerry,
    So wonderful to hear all the great news. There is a big cheer going up in Lexington -- do you hear it? We all love you so much. I have a Mama B story to tell you about scars but will have to send it later when I'm not so choked up.Reese says she NEVER cries--- her eyes just get blurry
    Love you lots and lots
    aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete