Thursday, January 29, 2009

I passed Chemo Class!!!


Hello dear family and friends. I got up this morning, put on my GOD IS SO MUCH BIGGER THAN CANCER shirt, a matching pink jacket, a marquesite cross, pink shoes and my "bag of optomism" given to me by friends. You homeschool coop friends who like to kid me about dressing up would have agreed that I was a pink "Fashionista" for chemo class this morning. You would have laughed at us as we hurried to the hospital to start chemo. Randy does not like to be late to ANYTHING and traffic was horrible. He said "What if we miss the first 15 minutes about something important like what to do if the chemo makes your leg falls off..." Then he said maybe we'll get lucky and they will be on "Pep Moms time." This made us both laugh (I say this with love but you Pep Moms out there know EXACTLY what I mean);)
I was actually a little disappointed in chemo class. I thought sure there would be lots of students there and I would be the teacher's pet by the end of it. The class was actually just a video shown to me and Randy going over all the various side effects of the medications. I caught Randy a couple of times trying to copy down my notes and I told him if there was a test afterwards, I was sure I'd get the better grade and he better not cheat. Fortunately there was no test and we passed chemo class with flying colors! (Easiest A I ever got)!

The chemo room itself was large with about 25 recylining chairs lining the walls of the room and IV bags dangling from the ceiling. Cancer does not discriminate. There were people there from all races and walks of life. At first I thought I was the youngest one there but then I looked over and saw a woman who I'd say was in her twenties. I believe her dad was sitting next to her. I had several people ask about my shirt. It was a big hit!!! I could see several people would read it and then just look up at me and smile. I gave the blog address to a hospital receptionist, social worker and volunteer to share with others. I sat down and began reading my copy of Cancer Vixen, got all hooked up and stayed for 3 hours to get the medication. They gave me a boxed lunch and there were individual tvs you could watch as you waited. I was about to leave when I met another breast cancer patient. She was holding her own copy of cancer vixen which we both laughed about. She said she'd been divorced and learned of her diagnosis in the same week. My heart really went out to her. But there was an immediate sisterhood. We traded emails and were both excited to learn that we'll have treatments on the same days from now on.
I want to tell you all what some of the side effects are. Not because I want you to feel sorry for me (because I don't). I just think it is important for everyone to know when you hear of someone who has cancer what they might be facing. These are just some of the side effects. Not all of these happen, but you go into it not knowing which makes it alittle scary. Here we go:
Hair loss, loss of fingernails and toenails, mouth sores, extreme fatigue, vomitting, nausea, onset of leukemia, onset of early menopause, heart toxicity, bone pain, lowered white/red blood cell count causing the greater likelihood of infection. There is even a condition which damages your tear ducts and can leave you constantly crying until an opthamalogist can put a stint into your eyes. Whew! It is a lot! There are hormone therapies and Her2Nu protein treatments some breast cancer patients can take to shrink their tumors but I was not a candidate for either of these. Chemo is a big decision but I am at peace with it. It is not HOW I will be healed but WHO will heal me that matters. Another obstacle bites the dust, y'all!! Lots of love,
Kerry

PS Don't I just look Faaaaaabulous!

13 comments:

  1. YEA Kerry!!!! One down, and yes you do look faaaaabulous. It is all about the clothes you know. That is why I think you should try a different color wig depending upon your outfit. You know we women no matter what we have to think about the outfit. So glad you have your first day under your belt. Counting the days to the last one.
    Love ya
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kerry, Yes, you look fabulous. And you know what? Your heart....your inside....it is absolutely gorgeous! I wish I was there to give you a giant hug. You are an absolute inspiration. I sit here and cry, I am so moved. More than ME being proud of you....I think that I can see Jesus in you. I think He is proud of you. You're doing great. I am honored to read your story and to get to know you better.
    One down....
    Love,
    Amy Parker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Kerry, you do look fabulous. Amy is correct when she said your heart - your inside is absolutely gorgeous. I remember the time that you said to Laura that we wanted her to be pretty on the inside. Daughter, you have it going on. You are so pretty on the inside that nothing, nothing can take away your beauty - not cancer - not anything. You are beautiful to stay. We love you.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kerry, You're a diva indeed!! I thought about you all day. Im not very good when it comes to quoting Bible verses but the verse "at what time I am afraid, I will just in thee" kept coming to my mind. One down and now just 17 to go. You are definitely a mighty warrior for God - you go girl!!! And yes I agree with Amy too - the most beautiful woman is a woman who is after God's own heart. I think you've aced that test too.

    Keep smiling and God Bless

    Renee J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry,

    You look georgeous!! I was delivering directories at UT today and I came up to the cancer center to see if you were still there (around 3:00), but I was glad to see that the place looked empty. It sounds like they took good care of you :-).. My prayer for you tonight is that your side effects will be minimal. You have one treatment down and five to go.. Your girls will be proud if you for making such a good grade in your class today.

    You better be careful, we may rub off on you with this Pep Mom time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about you all day. So glad to hear that you made it through with grace and humor. Love the shirts and the message you are sending to those around you- you are a light in a dark place. Thank you for sharing this journey. Praying that God will continue to pour out His grace which is sufficient for each day.

    Love,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kerry,

    The girls are upstairs chowing down on pizza. They sure like the cheese! For little people, they sure can put it away. I don't know whether to be jealous or impressed!
    Kerry, we are going to pray over these side effects. I prayed over the chemotherapy today and I realized how lucky we are that the doctors can treat breast cancer. We live in a time when there is so much they can do. I am so thankful for that.
    I know you are not looking for sympathy, but I would spare you this if I could. Shannon and I would take some off of you if we could. Remember, you will not always be in this place.
    I was interested in the vixen book! I have been reading breast cancer books down here, but I don't have nearly as interesting a title. Do tell!
    We will keep looking to find that "new normal". I know we will get there. You look great! We wouldn't want to fight breast cancer without the proper accessories!
    I love you so much, Kerry. We will see you tomorrow.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kerry,

    You are a fashionista!!!! Maybe there is still hope for me :-) My main fashion accessory is my watch :-) Actually, I do have some beautiful accessories because you and Mitzi found them for me :-)
    On a more serious note, your christlike heart is shining through all of this. I am amazed at all God has done through you in just a few weeks. There are so many lives you have already touched with Gods hand by sharing your story and life in this way.The people you are encountering on this road your life has taken are probably put there by God. It is truly ispiring to see God at work in you :-)
    We will be praying that you have remarkably few of that list of side effects and that every single cancer cell will be eradicated!!! We love you dearly Kerry. Keep letting that light shine :-)

    Your big sis,

    Shannon Beal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kerry, I stumbled on your blog the other day and your Spirit just squeezed my heart till my eyes gushed!

    What I am going to post isn't original......I found it on a site somewhere and saved it but I don't remember where. Anyhow, I believe it is for now, "for such a time as this........"

    "For me, cancer is a word...not a sentence, rather, it is a comma, placed by God, to show me His awesome and mighty love for me. I have come to realize that the Will of God will never take me where the Grace of God cannot keep me."

    You are in my prayers....

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kerry,
    Yes, you do look gorgeous, and smiling before chemo? Wow, what I have learned from you in these last few weeks!! That impressed me soo much! Girl, you have amazed me so much for what you've encountered, endured and your outlook. I've taken a different perspective toward life because of you (and we all should who know you). I know it shouldn't have taken this to do it, but it has affected me in so many ways....just as my brother's did during that time 17 years ago. It's different when you have children of your own and they are sure lucky to have a caring Christ-like mommy like you. You rock!
    You have gotten over this hurdle...and you will certainly make it over the next. GOD IS SOO MUCH BIGGER....and "if He brings you to it, He will bring you through it!"
    Praying for you,
    Love, Di

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kerry- Have you realized that your initials are K.O., meaning "Knock Out!!" I smiled when I thought of that, cause you're gonna knock out this cancer thing! The shirt is awesome- u look great! What a LIGHT you are! Keep looking up girl, He's WORKING in so many ways....love you tons. M.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Kerry,
    it is so wonderful to see Jesus Christ shine through you.
    You do look faaaaabulous in your pink chemo outfit. You are in my daily prayers and I am thinking about you a lot. The reason God lets YOU go through all this is very obvious to me. You are touching so many lifes right now.
    Love, Cordy

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look so faaabulous! And your positive spirit is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete