Friday, January 30, 2009

So far Sooooo Good!!

Hello dear family and friends,

Today was a very special day for me. I woke up feeling great! I have always thought things like pantyhose and mascara were plagues of female existence but I can honestly say it was a privilege that I still had eyelashes on which to put that yucky old mascara this morning. Best of all I made it back to my Funtastic Friday homeschool coop for the first time in two weeks. Yippeeee!!!! Words cannot express how much seeing those smiling faces, receiving those encouraging words and getting 50+ hugs there meant to me. Some of you may not know that I teach a literature class there on CS Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia books. I have always wanted to write a children's book as powerful as his (and since I never arrived at that place) I decided last fall I would teach about the children's books that I love as a ministry instead. What I have learned is that teaching these books to these students has become a ministry to ME. I had expected some students to drop out of my classes once I disclosed my cancer diagnosis. I arrived yesterday with full classes and, as a result, a very full heart. Imagine having children, students in your class telling you they are praying for you and that they've told everyone they know to pray for you. What could be a more powerful blessing than that.

Right now I am on 4 medications a day to control the nausea. I also went to get a shot this afternoon at the cancer center for nausea. So far it seems to be working. On top of that I am gargling a concoction of water, baking soda and salt 3 times a day to prevent mouth sores (another of the chemo side effects).

Before I sign off I wanted to share with you two more "coincidences" I have experienced. One was funny, one AMAZING and both happened last Friday morning when I was about to go in and get those scary PET scan results.

Here's the funny one. Some of you know we have two toy collies Stradivarius and Mandolyn (Mandy). Randy plays and makes violins and we are hoping in a couple of years (BUT NOT NOW) to have a whole orchestra pit full of puppies. Well THAT FRIDAY MORNING Mandy went into her first heat. Rather than spend that morning dwelling on what those PET scan results might be we were scrambling to get her situated into her "confinement." This distraction ended up being such a blessed distraction. Can God work blessings through a dog? I'd say in this situation Mandy's little surprise was heaven sent.

The second "coincidence" of that morning was an email I received from a science teacher of my daughter Laura's. She was just sending a routine email about her class. I had just met this teacher the week prior so I hardly knew her. That morning I had an overwhelming urge to email her and another mom with a child in that class (who had been a spiritual mentor to me in Pep Moms)and ask them both to pray for me. Here's an excerpt from the science teacher's response to my email:

"Kerry,
My heart is so heavy for you right now! I understand all of your emotions, confusion, questions... I have walked on the path you are about to embark upon.

I am fighting back tears as I am typing this. My very best friend battled breast cancer for nearly 3 years. I grieve for you because of the journey that the Lord has placed before you. It is a long, hard, narrow road. Yet, the path is filled with unspeakable blessings as you will go to places that you have not yet approached in life. The precious glimpses of God gave me slivers of glory to cling to. I continued to hope, trust, and know that God was and is in control.

My mom had cancer as well. She has been in remission for over 10 years. My husband's mother also had ovarian cancer, and she departed this earth when I was pregnant with our oldest son twelve years ago. Finally, I am too, a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer soon after our youngest was born five years ago. My short-lived battle prepared me to walk the road with my best friend. Cancer is a horrible disease, and yet, I believe the worst "cancer" anyone can have is to not have Jesus. He is the one to provide the HOPE and STRENGTH to face the battle."

Coincidence? I don't think so!!! These are just two of the many AMAZING things I am seeing in this cancer diagnosis. I can't wait to share more with you.

Finally today, please pray for my sister Shannon. She just had a mammogram and there is a questionable spot that they are going to biopsy on her next Wednesday. Her lymph nodes look good (Praise God!) but she's never had a biopsy before and we would all really appreciate the prayers. Thanks for helping me "K.O." the cancer! Lots of love,

Kerry

6 comments:

  1. Kerry,

    I'll be praying for Shannon, too.

    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising God for each day that you are not sick and that you still have your hair!! Thanks for sharing your "God Moments" with us. I love when He makes his prescence so known to us.

    Shannon,
    I am praying that your tests go well and that they find NOTHING!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,
    I am so thankful that you feel good today. I am thankful that you are coming over to see us. I am thankful that my boys are going to Shannon's house for a sleepover and John and I are getting out together. I am simply thankful for today.
    I am praying over your side effects. I so hate to see you go through this, but I accept it because the treatments will make you better. I am praying that Shannon's biopsy is as painless as possible and she receives reassuring news.
    We are all going to be experts on breast cancer by the time this is over. It is not a path that I would have chosen, but I accept it in the knowledge that we can all trust our health and lives to God.
    We will continue to find our normal through all of these tests. I am confident that we will get there. I am so thankful that people are willing to be so encouraging and supportive of our family. We are so blessed!
    I love you so much, Kerry.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Connie sent an email to pray for you. I want to tell you that my friends, family and I are praying for you up here in King George, Virginia. As a family practice physician I have seen my share of miracles and I am so much in awe of what God can do. Keep your spirit up and just email if you need anything.
    Donna Gamache djgamache@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry, I am so thankful too that so far so good. I hope my last message made some sense. I got a little confused on the number of treatments and the number of weeks. It's amazing how it helps to lift my spirits to read what you have written and how great you sound. You truly are inspirational. Tell Shannon Im praying for her - and give her a hug from me. Im expecting to see the both of you in this summer! :-)

    Love and God Bless
    Renee J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is full of unawares. I will pray for you and your family today. The journey and battle that lies ahead is one that many travel but only a few can bless others during it. As I read your blogs I see that the Lord has choosen this journey for you not as just a battle but as a journey for life. You will meet many people along this journey most of which you will bless. The Lord will reach others through your family, friends, and through his Holy Spirit within you. Not all days will seem a blessing but all days will be a journey for life in his will and in his glory. Your blog itself is a testamony of the Lords living in you, your family, and your friends. Praise the Lord not for our circumstances all the time but for his grace, peace, and guidance in those circumstances that he has blessed you with. I will continue to pray for all those you come in contact with and all of the many people you will help guide and direct toward the grace our Lord has given you. May the Lord give you strength, peace, and comfort today. I pray the Lord will show you something ordinary that will cause you to think of his blessing of unordinary strength. I think the Lord for your family also. It is a blessing to hear that you have support, love, and a willing hand to help in anyway needed. May you have a very normal day today.
    signed,
    one who cares

    ReplyDelete