Thursday, June 18, 2009

Eager to be a "Thriver" As Well As a "Survivor"

It has been a week today since my surgery and I continue to recover well. I started out with 5 tubes after surgery and am down to one drainage tube. I am hoping to have that out tomorrow. I got dressed by myself today which was an accomplishment! I also got out of the house for a couple hours with Shannon for lunch and a couple short errands which was a treat.

I have some good news! My pathology report came back and there is NO SIGN OF THE CANCER! It's gone! Caput! Outta here!! Isn't that fantastic?! It boggles my mind how the doctors knew exactly what drug combination to use to so successfully KO the cancer. That these very drugs are out there, the fact that they exist, that they were work together so well shows yet again how miracles in nature always point back to our Omnipotent Creator. Round 2 is won!! Yeah!! Praise God!!

I don't know yet if the doctor had to remove any of the chest wall or how many lymph nodes she took during the surgery. She told my family that the surgery was a little tricky. She had to take out several damaged lymph nodes up against the blood vessals. I hope to know more details when I see her again.

Laura and Leslie are coming home on Saturday. So far my sister Mitzi & brother-in-law John have courageously survived having 6 kids at their house for over a week. Laura told me the other night "Mommy, we all went out last night and caught fireflies. It was so much fun." I was about to say "Awww how sweet..." when she added, "And then we fed them to Stephen's Venus Fly Trap plant." I just had to laugh. I understand there is also a toothfairy (Heather and Joe in disquise) sending notes to Leslie. The toothfairy is not even requiring lost teeth in VA!

I was asked last week by Laura and Leslie if I believed Peter Pan and Tinkerbell were real. I was honest and explained that I thought they were make believe. My girls politely informed me I was wrong because the toothfairy (about a year ago) had written a note saying she'd seen Tinkerbell in Fairyland and if the toothfairy says so, it MUST be true. (Guess I've dug myself in pretty deep). Hopefully this "toothfairy" in VA can help dig me out! ;)

I really enjoyed reading the comments on the last post about the other adventures Laura and Leslie have been having with all our dear friends in VA. Thank you all so much for adopting the girls for the week. It has meant so much to me and Randy to know they can enjoy the summer not having to deal with things like "surgery" or "cancer."

Yesterday I saw an interview with Olivia Newton John who is a breast cancer survivor. She calls herself not just a survivor but a "Thriver." Survivor has such wonderful conotations...you've made it...you've beat the cancer. It also, she said, gives you the mental picture of someone still holding on to dear life or someone with their head just above the water. She proudly explained after 16 years cancer free she felt like a Thriver, with a very full life.

Psalm 1:1-3 says "Happy is the man who does not go in the company of sinners, or take his place in the way of evil-doers, or in the seat of those who do not give honour to the Lord. But whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and whose mind is on his law day and night. He will be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, which gives its fruit at the right time, whose leaves will ever be green; and he will do well in all his undertakings."

I want to be like the thriving tree in that verse. I am definately a Survivor. I have beat the cancer. There are days when my head feels just above the water. On the other hand, I have such a wonderful life. I know there are good times ahead. Guess that makes me a "Thriving Survivor" or a "Surviving Thriver?" I don't know which but I'm on my way to being a Thriver. That's what counts. Hope you are Thrivers too.

Lots of love to all,

Kerry

10 comments:

  1. Kerry,

    Yeah!!!! Praise the Lord for such wonderful news! CANCER FREE!!! What beautiful words to see on your blog. Our God is an awesome God and the mightiest Physician. All praise to Him for the wonderful things He does in our lives. I am thrilled to hear you are getting stronger every day. You are still a huge inspiration for me and for many others. Keep on thriving!

    Love ya,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry,

    Praise the Lord for the WONDERFUL pathology report news!! God is so good!! I'm so thankful that the report came back with such great news and that you are doing so well. I know it was great to get out with Shannon today. The boys are looking forward to Laura and Leslie's return back to Tennessee! But, I know they are having a great time in VA. I will continue to pray for your complete and fast recovery. You are doing great!! You are truly a "Thriving Survivor"!

    Love,
    Brooke :)

    P.S. I love the firefly story. That is hilarious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,

    I am so thankful the pathology report showed no evidence of cancer. Praise God! I can not express how thankful I am. I am so grateful for all the prayers and support that we have been given. We are all so blessed.
    I do think so many people simply survive instead of enjoying each day. I know I have done it many times. Thanks for the reminder!
    The girls have done a great job, but they have missed you and Randy. I have really enjoyed them. You are doing such a great job! (By the way, don't take it seriously if they mention the "swing of death", getting on the porch roof, living in dirt city, sodas early in the morning, or other dangerous sounding activities. There is a logical, reasonable explanation for all of it. I had everything completely under control. I haven't thought of the explanations yet, but they are there!)
    I miss you so much, Kerry. I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. Do you want to try the swing of death? I will keep it up for you. I know, let's get Shannon to do it since you are recovering from you surgery. We can watch!
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much we all love you.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry,

    I am so excited to hear that your pathology report came back with GREAT results!! I pray that your body continues to heal quickly and you get that last tube out.. One round to go!! You can do it!! Then this will be a closed chapter in your book of life!!

    Melony

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crying tears of JOY just now as I read your post. NO CANCER!! Love the song with your post. Glory Glory..We can sing with you today for this victory. As you walk through this Our Lord continues to shine through your beautiful blue eyes. He thrives in you and through you Kerry. Our God is Alive. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Evie (thriving to share)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sweet Kerry,

    I am just praising God for your wonderful pathalogy report!! God is so good and I am so thankful that the cancer has been eradicated!!

    I have found it so entertaining to hear and read about the kids exploits this past week. I wonder if the Venus Fly Trap liked dining on Fireflies? Personally, I think Mitzi might have a hard time coming up with a logical explanation for all their activities but it will definitly be entertaining to hear all of them :-) Mitzi, I will gladly try the "swing of death" if you guys promise to not photograph or record any of it :-) On second thought, maybe we could send it to AFV and make some "fun" money :-)

    Kerry,we'll keep praying that your stamina increases and that you are back to all of your normal activities soon. Rest and keep looking to the finish line. We love you and will be lifting you up before God.

    Your big sis,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God, Kerry. So happy to read this! I am so amazed at you. Thanks for inspiring us and being so amazing. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are hoѕting the next Pokеr pаrty
    at your home, hегe аre some grеat Pokeг
    рartу foods аnԁ Poker party ԁеcorations that aгe еaѕy
    to make and will not break the bank. When уou arе baking bread,
    you can rаise the bread dοugh in the сolԁ oven аnd
    then just turn on thе оven tо thе cοrreсt temperature once
    the breаd is raised. Sοmetimes the pіzza ѕlіce seller will plaсe your
    precious ρortiοn inѕіde οf
    a triangle-shapeԁ cardboаrd containеr,
    smile, then wave you on уouг merry wаy.


    my wеb pagе - pizza stone

    ReplyDelete
  9. From thе glаss blowing factoгу that is however in
    ρrοcedure, to a dwеll bakerу ωhеre
    by you can bаke youг indіvidual gοodieѕ, гunning farmѕ thаt you can explore and feed
    the animals, аnd working рottегу
    mіlls. This Flοridа tentіng areа is best for a lovеd ones on a ρrice range consiԁering the fаct thаt it is moԁегаtеly priced for the Orlando vіcіnіty and nevеrtheless it іs nеar to аll thе
    fundamentаl attrаctions likе Diѕney.
    You maу perhaps be thе valid reason οf hurԁlеs
    in your fathеr's victory.

    Feel free to visit my web-site - Http://Www.Folkd.Com/User/Olindime17

    ReplyDelete