Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Child-Like Faith



Hello Dear friends and family!

Child-like faith. That is what I hope to show to others. A contagious, child-like faith.

Mark 10:13-16 says,
And they were bringing children to Jesus so that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, “Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.” And He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them.

This morning on Good Morning America I saw a story about a 10 year old girl with breast cancer. You heard me correctly...10 years old. Here's a link to her incredible story. Her positive outlook is amazing. I watched it and I cried. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCallPlusBreastCancerNews/story?id=7739714&page=1

I have talked to a couple mothers whose children are battling or have battled cancer. Their spirit and outlook on life have been very inspirational to me. It is truly amazing and humbling what we can learn from children sometimes.

With this in mind we are happy to announce another new shirt! It was designed by Michelle at Luna B Tees and suggested by a mother whose little boy Phillip is in remission from leukemia. It is the God is so much bigger than Pediatric Cancer shirt! (Yeah!!!!) These are now available on lunabtee.com. I can't wait until after surgery when I can give some of these out!! Here's a link to the caringbridge site of that special family and a precious picture of Phillip modeling it. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/philipendres

Yesterday Randy and I had an appointment with my breast surgeon. We had a huge list of questions. She spent well over an hour with us going through the list answering each one by one. If there is one thing I have learned about breast cancer it is that it is VERY complicated. You can't expect "yes" and "no" answers to anything. The best doctor in the world can't give you those.

All the answers can be best summed up in two statements: every person is different and every breast cancer is different. I really don't know for sure yet how many surgeries I will have. I really don't know how long my recovery time will be. All they can give you are ranges and estimates. As a "planner" this can drive you a little crazy. There are also so many "what ifs" or unpredictable things that go wrong too, some of which I will have to watch for the rest of my life (lymphadema, blood clots,etc.). What the surgeon kept telling me was to not fixate on all the little unpredictable things but to just keep my eyes on the goal, the goal of being cancer free. I keep wanting the cancer treatments to be a sprint to the finish but clearly it is more of a marathon with unknown twists and turns.

My surgery is late next week. I am having a modified radical mastectomy with an expander on the right. Thanks so much for your continued prayer and support. I am READY for it. That child-like faith will see me through. Lots of love,

Kerry

2 comments:

  1. Kerry,

    I know you are READY to have the surgery and I am confident you will do well. I think your doctor's advice was wise. It is important to focus on the goal and where you want to be. It is so easy to get discouraged if we focus on details.
    I think you made the right decisions with your surgery. You have done such a good job of gathering information and thinking your options through. I am so sorry you are having to go through the surgery, but am so thankful you are here. I am so very, very grateful you are here.
    Hebrews 11:6, "Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for He who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him".
    You will do well with the surgery, Kerry. I just know it!
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much I love you.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sweet Kerry,

    I am so proud of your amazing attitude and faith. You will come through all of this cancer free and stronger than ever!! Keep your eyes on that finish line, it may take many twists and turns, but you will get there strong and victorious in the end :-)

    I think it is wonderful that there is now a shirt for pediatric cancer!! You are right that we could all use some of that child like faith. Children see life with no limits, each day is full of new surprises and possibilities. What a wonderful attitude to start each day with :-)

    We will all be praying you and the doctors through the surgeries and the recovery. Only you will know exactly how difficult this has been, but Mitzi is right, you will do well with the surgery and the recovery! Remember how dearly you are loved and that we feel so blessed to have you as a sister and friend. We will continue to cheer and pray you to the finish!!

    Your big sis,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete