Thursday, June 25, 2009

Healing Rain

Hello dear friends and family!

Healing rain is falling down inside (my spirit) and out (my physical scars). I am still recovering well from my surgery. The drain tubes are gone (yeah!) It feels like I have a huge jelly roll under my arms from the swelling, but there is no pain and I am able to get around well. I have been sleeping in the living room recliner for a week and a half to keep myself elevated and reduce pressure on the stitches. Bed? What's that? Needless to say I am looking forward to sleeping in one again soon.

I have a lopsided chest. The left side is flat. They injected fluid for the first time into the expander on the right side Monday, making it expand & beginning the reconstruction. The expander is actually located underneath the chest muscle and stretches both the muscle and the skin which made me sore for a couple of days. For a while there I vowed I was stopping at size AA. Randy hurt his back exercising that night and we were both hobbling around the house like a bent over old couple. Just looking at each other made us laugh but it also hurt! It was funny.

The little things like the soreness and swelling are really just irritating. Laura, Leslie and I are impatient for me to fully recover so we can get out more and enjoy the summer.

It looks like my hair will start coming back soon. I have a little fuzz on my head now, just a few baby hairs. My toes are still numb so I know the chemo has not left my system for good yet. It is on its way out though.

God is so good. Everything we have needed has been supplied and then some. There were so many kind mailings, cards, emails and phone calls the past few weeks. There were a couple of days last week when I seriously wondered how I was going to close the refrigerator door. Thanks to everyone and thanks also for all the prayers.

I also wanted to remind everyone to pray again for Brooke Estrada. She left yesterday for the Avon Walk coming up on June 27-28th. She and others participating with her are raising lots of money for breast cancer research. Please pray for a successful, injury-free event.

Lots of love,

Kerry

5 comments:

  1. Dear Kerry, As you go through this next phase of healing i will pray for you faithfully. You're always in my thoughts. My mind touches on your situation throughout the day everyday, and i pray God's goodness, almost willing it to you, hoping you can feel it. Love, your friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry,

    I'm pleased to hear that your recovery from surgery is going well. It is such a blessing to receive such gifts of self-less service at times like these...I'm glad you are being well taken care of :) My prayers continue for you and your family on this journey.

    Peace of our Lord,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,

    I am so glad the chemo and surgery are behind you. I pray you continue to feel better daily.
    I hope you are out enjoying the summer with your family.
    We can't wait to see you in July!
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much we all love you,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sweet Kerry,

    I am so glad that you now have the second large hurdle behind you and are recovering well :-) We will pray that the swelling and other discomforts will resolve at a much quicker pace so that you can feel more like yourself :-) I continue to be so proud of your attitude and courage.

    I am really looking forward to our trip to King George and hope that your stamina will be strong by then. It seems like it already is :-), but you still need to rest more and take it easy! After all, there is no telling what the kids might get into in King George. Between the swing of death, rooftop climbing, praying mantis feeding and general chaos we will have to be on our toes:-) Which is of course the whole fun of it. I know that Grizzly Adams(Jonathan) and Heather can't wait to dive into the midst of such happenings so us grown ups will just have to hang on for the ride:-) Actually, Mitzi and I will do most of the hanging on, hopefully you can just observe! We love you dearly Kerry and will keep cheering you on to the finish line!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear you are recovering well. May the healing and thriving just continue with God's blessings!

    ReplyDelete