Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wanting it GONE

Hello Prayer Warriors!

I got the results back from my MRI last night. They can no longer see any cancer in my lymph nodes or the couple smaller tumors in my chest! There is a small amount of cancer left where the biggest tumor was but nothing in comparison to its original size!

I am so excited that the chemo has so dramatically shrunk the cancer! I had hoped for a total knockout but it is okay. I will always wonder in the back of my mind if little cancer cells could still be out there. A complete knockout would have helped that fear but in a way it makes the double mastectomy an easier decision. It would have been harder somehow to loose that part of my body if the cancer had been completely gone. Regardless, the results are still miraculous! Praise God that the chemo was so effective!!

Today I thought I would tell everyone what an MRI of the breast is like in case you ever have to go in for future testing. This is the procedure I had last Thursday that gave me these results.

The good news is an MRI is not painful. The first thing they do is start an IV. You then have to lie down on a table on your stomach with your head in an oval cushion. You stretch your arms above your head. Your chest hangs down over this opening (which feels a little funny). They lower you back into a tunnel and you stay in that position for about 30 minutes. They give you earplugs because as the images are taken you hear lots of clicks and knocking sounds some of which do get loud. The only hard thing is remaining absoultely still and breathing while lying on your tummy. About 3/4 of the way through they will insert "contrast" into your IV. It is a liquid that makes the cancer stick out more in the imaging. I was told with my first MRI that they take about 1200 images.

I hope to have the date of the surgery set on Tuesday when I see the breast surgeon.Last Thursday I dropped off several more God is bigger than cancer shirts to Julie at the radiologist's office. She said they continue to be a blessing to others which makes me smile. She hopes to start a support group at the hospital to serve the Knoxville area. Thank you all for your continued prayer. Looking forward to the day when the cancer is GONE! Lots of love,

Kerry

3 comments:

  1. Kerry, I am so happy to read this post. Praise God! Thank you for sharing this information. We are still praying for you! Love, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kerry,

    I am so thankful the chemo knocked out so much of the cancer! I am looking forward to the day when the cancer is totally gone and you can put all the treatments behind you. We will keep plowing forward.
    Thanks for sharing the information about the MRI. It is helpful to know what to expect and to have the mystery removed.
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much I love you.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerry,

    Praise God girl! I am SO happy to hear that the cancer "took a hike". As tough as I'm sure it was to go through, the chemo did its job. What a blessing that you can now move on to the surgery and get that behind you too. I am still rooting for you, Kerry, and I will continue praying for you as well!

    Love,
    Michelle in K.G.

    ReplyDelete