Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chemo Graduation- Breast Cancer Style!!!





Hello dear friends and family!!

It's the season for graduations. I had a big graduation and milestone of my own today. I graduated chemo. 18 weeks...6 rounds...done, finis, outta here, hasta la vista baby, history! Yeah!!!!

It is funny the emotions I have. I am SO glad to be done with the chemo, especially all that it has done to me physically. I've continued to develop some weird side effects....a rash on my hands, numbness on my feet, sudden bursts of tears, all of which my doctor tells me are "normal" for chemo. Only my gray eyebrows seem to be hanging in there so I've been using a pencil to "draw" some visible ones in. Despite everything I've experienced, my doctor said I "breezed" through it. Guess that means I was top of my class! :) Again how lucky and I am to be healthy overall. It makes a big difference. I will miss the every three week visit with my wonderful doctor and the terrific nurses that always gave me the hugs and smiles that I needed to keep racing toward that chemo finish line.

Today they gave me a send off "breast cancer style..." with pink, pink and more pink! I was presented with a pink rhinestone hat and a pink feather boa. To the music of "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.." we all got up and danced and one of the nurses blew bubbles on me. The other patients in the room and their families applauded. A funny ritual, but I cannot tell you what it meant to my heart. I know I won't be in the chemo room as a patient anymore, but I know I will be there. It is so laid on my heart to return and return often...to give out shirts to those cancer patients, to hear their stories, to help them see how God has worked in my life and how He can in theirs.

As I approached the chemo room to begin my last treatment I saw a man with a black grapefruit sized tumor on his jaw & cheek. It broke my heart. Then I looked up and I saw a man staring at my shirt. "Good Luck" he said with a big smile on his face. It was the last chemo cheer before I crossed my chemo finish line, pink boa and rhinestone hat and all! Thank you all for cheering me on.

In Acts 20:24 Paul said "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me–the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." I have finished this leg of the race but there is more to come, much more. I so long to be a contagious christian. I have a mental image of running the race and then seeing others join in running side by side because they see something that is different about you, about me, about all of us who know Jesus. I can't wait to see what HE has in store. I so want to fulfill His purpose for me and run my race and run it well. Don't you?

Next Monday I go back to the plastic surgeons office. Many of you remember it was not an easy visit for me last time. I am going to go in there with my movie star glasses on, and walk through the waiting room like it is a catwalk with my head held high. LOOK OUT WORLD!!! HERE I COME!! Lots of love,

Kerry

8 comments:

  1. Kerry,

    Congratulations on your Chemo Graduation!! I am so happy this part is behind you. You are running this "race" with such grace and dignity. I am so proud of you! You are winning this race Kerry! You are such a beautiful person both inside and out and I aspire to have the courage, patience, and faith that you have. You are truly an amazing person and witness for our Lord. You are such a blessing to us all. I know that your parents, husband, in-laws, children, and sisters are so proud of you. You bring much joy to this world with your positive and inspiring attitude. Keep on running girlfriend! You jumped this chemo hurdle with style and the hurdles ahead won't know what hit them when you get there! You are doing great! Keep your chin up when you go to the plastic surgeons office. Make sure you wear your rhinestone hat and all your other bling with your movie star glasses! Wow! You'll look fabulous darlin'.

    Love,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kerry, we are so proud of you. You bless our lives to such a degree that words cannot express how I feel. Last January, I sat in our flooded out office while my heart was breaking. Somehow, amid my praying, I felt that the PET scan would show something good. You called; we began a journey. You are leading the way into battle; we, your support team, are growing and building character, are becoming closer to our Lord. You step out, and see roses where we have seen thorns. We begin to see roses. You see life giving water raining from the heavens; we saw only the nuisance of rain but are learning to appreciate life giving water. You are a leader. We are learning. You are a teacher. We are following for you process something that all of us want. A true leader teaches by example, and a good teacher has information which her followers want.

    I praise God for His love and care of you. I have rambled on; but with these tears of joy, tears of worship, in my eyes I know that I cannot write what my heart is feeling. I will just say that I love you. Papaw and I celebrate this victory with you.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, With loud shouts of "Praise the Lord" and "Whoohoo - You Go Girl" from all of us here in podunk King George!!!!!! You are a truly amazing person and we're all so proud to call you a sister in Christ. Those ladies at the plastic surgeons office better watch out - the new and improved Kerry is coming!!!! We love you!!!!!!!!!

    Love and Hugs,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kerry,

    The boys and I just came from "The Relay for Life" event in King George. It was so inspiring to see all of the survivors and know that each one has a story to tell.
    I am so proud of you, Kerry. You have done such a great job with your chemotherapy. I know you will encourage others during your visits to the chemo center.
    We have counted down each chemo treatment, and I am so thankful you are finished. I hope your side effects aren't too bad. I will be praying for you on Monday and your visit to the doctor. I read in the paper today that big sunglasses are all the rage with celebrities. I know you will look fabulous!
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much I love you,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sweet Kerry,

    I should have known you would do the chemo graduation with flashy, rhinestone, rip-roaring style :-) You are one fantastic, pink, beautiful fashion-ista! I think that you will knock them out on Monday, sure the bling, big sunglasses and catwalk stride will leave a big impression :-) But I think what they will be the most struck with is your kind, gentle spirit and contagious smile :-) Your love for others and for God will shine through and leave a lasting impression, just like the contagious christian you were talking about! You already are one and we are all thrilled to participate in our small ways by praying and cheering you on.

    We know that this Dr. visit will be tough and we will pray you through it. You are a precious daughter of the Most High King, and are beautiful beyond measure, for God looks at our hearts and not just the external! And hey, girl, you've got both going on :-) We love you dearly Kerry and are so proud of you!! Remember how much you are loved :-)

    Your big sis,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on completing chemo!!! What a tremendous milestone :) God is Good All the Time!!! Keep running the race...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kerry,

    I am sooo happy for you that you are through the chemo! I know you have more hills to climb but you can look back at the one you've just scaled and KNOW that the Lord did not give more than you can handle and WOW can you handle a lot! HE must be with you! My heart broke for you when you felt like the "bummer mom". I've been there too during a difficult time and it hurts. However, to me it is proof that they are protected. They're protected from the enormity of truly understanding the situation and all the possiblities that come with it. Sometimes it is a blessing when our children fuss over the little things because they don't need to be so aware yet of all the Big things that can be too scarey for them. You will be well again, I know it. And that's what they must know too. Mommy is sick but she will get better and we will do these things another time... and you will. You're a wonderful person Kerry. I'm praying for you always. Lots of love, your friend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey BEAUTIFUL STRONG SURVIVOR!!!!!!!!!! I did the "Happy and You Know It" dance with you. NO MO CHEMO!!!! Can ya tell I'm happy for you. I mentioned your wonderful music last post but just wanted to say another thanks for it. Couple of things: You are a wise Mom not the bummer Mom, what insight you gave your girls; The chemo is over,tumors wilted but you kept going and our Lord radiated His goodness in the midst of suffering; Confusing time with lots to think about but praying you will know just how to proceed. From one pink boa gal to another......Evie

    ReplyDelete