Saturday, May 2, 2009

I've got the Joy, Joy, Joy Down in My Heart....

Hello Dear Friends and Family!

Last night I had the pleasure of attending my first Relay for Life event. It was in Jefferson County. My inlaws, aunts on Randy's side and even my mother in law's employer were there to walk for cancer. The event was very touching.

Everyone there who had ever battled cancer wore special survivor shirts and sat in the center of the Jefferson Co High football stadium. I was struck by how young those people looked. There were several children and I can truly say not as many gray heads as you would have thought. Dozens of school and business teams sat behind us in the bleachers. Our speaker was also a breast cancer survivor. She talked about how many cancer survivors she'd met were people of JOY, not because life had been easy on them but because they saw life with new eyes, with a clarity that comes from the cancer itself. She encouraged us not just to walk around the track but to dance around it. It reminded me of that song we sang as kids "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart. Where? Down in my heart..."

Then it came time for us to walk. They called each survivor's name one by one and stated how long they had battled cancer. One person had battled it for a month. Another was a 42 year survivor. Each person walked past the others to the track and received a Relay for Life medal from the mayor. Once they had called everyone's names, we lined up together on the track and began to walk, wiggle and boogie our way around the track. I saw several women with bald heads like mine, people with canes to support themselves, people with tubes coming out of their bodies. I saw what looked like a 7-8 year old boy with colon cancer. They all walked. They walked around that track with their heads held high....hopeful. I walked with a thyroid cancer survivor named Teresa whose daughter has just been diagnosed with cancer in lymph nodes behind the ribcage. She is currently battling with her insurance company to get a less invasive cancer surgery approved that would allow the surgeons to go in through the throat rather than the chest. The chest surgery would require breaking several ribs and a long recovery time. I cannot imagine having your cancer surgery on hold because of an insurance company.

After the survivor's walk there was a kid's walk. Randy, Laura and Leslie participated with shakers in hand. It was jubilant, loud, wonderful.

As soon as the kid's walk ended, a downpour began. I was not able to sit at my little card table and sell my shirts. (The cardtable would have been gone with the wind if I had tried). I was very disappointed about this, but the truth is within the last few days I had gotten 11 shirt orders. I had only 25 shirts. Half were already spoken for. How cool is that? Perhaps it was my night not to focus on the shirts but to focus on the JOY.

Later on in the evening I saw people dancing in the rain. It was a beautiful sight and an image I will not soon forget. It was the JOY that the speaker talked about...the joy that I see in the laughing faces at the cancer ward. It is hard to wrap your head around it. You don't see it in all the faces obviously. You see alot of sadness also, but when you do see that Joy it becomes contagious. Those are the people who have hope in HIM, hope for a cure, hope for healing. Those are the people you are inspired by because they are survivors in the truest sense of the word, not just in body but in spirit. Psalms 30:11 says, "You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy."
Wishing you all lots of joy.

Kerry

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kerry,

    I just caught up with reading your blog. It has been awhile since I posted on it, but I just wanted to tell you that our Relay for Life event in King George is an amazing thing too! My sons (through scouts) have volunteered there for many years. Their job is/was to set out all the luminarias. To watch all of those glow at night is a very moving sight. It is a tribute to those who battle cancer on a daily basis. Like you, I was also amazed by the survivors walk. Cancer touches people all of different ages, races, and walks of life. It is very indiscriminate.

    I also wanted to let you know that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Blog music. I have a VERY early memory of the Joy, Joy, Joy song. It was taught to me in the sanctuary of our first church in Alexandria, VA during Vacation Bible School and I remember it as being one of the very first (if not THE first) song to which I knew all the words. I was so thrilled with that song and the way it made me feel when I sung it.... Joyful for the Lord of course. It had a profound impact on me. I still feel happy and comforted whenever I hear that song.

    Before I close Kerry, I just wanted to say how relieved I am that you are done with treatment number 5. You are plugging along doing chemo with courage and grace and I am hopeful that your 6th and final treatment will be manageable for you. I will continue to pray for you daily. You are always at the top of my prayer list ;o)

    Love,
    Michelle (in K.G.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kerry,

    As the school year wraps up, I find myself thinking about next year. Is God called me to homeschool another year, if so do I stay with this curriculum , what areas to focus on, what I've done wrong, (I mean what I've done right). I tend to stress out around this time of year, but then exhale with relief after test time and I finish the last lesson, which is usally after test time. As I think of the decisions that go through my head in regard to homeschooling, I'm imagining that you too may be contemplating the year and looking forward to the next year with anticipation. I know, and I want to encourage you that whatever God's plans are for us and our children, He will make a way. I have worried needlessly, in the past only to then see that God did make a way. But He makes a way for His plan not mine. Sometimes I morn my plans and complain, "But, God...I was gonna do this and then that AND it was all going to be to YOUR Glory!" But I know His way is best because He loves my Kids more than I do. I pray that you will feel comfort and peace as the year closes, knowing that all decisions surrounding you children's education academically and spiritually will be just what they need as I know you will trust in Him. You're a wonderful person.

    Love from a friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again my little sis. How beautiful it must have been. Ahhh Dancing in the rain. JOY! How free we are to enJoy His gifts for us. Thanks for sharing with us about your walk. And thanks for all of the great mix of music. My CDs were recently stollen so am shy of my mix. Funny that we both wrote about the joy, dance theme simultaneously on our blogs. He is at work. Fun that we get to participate. You are in my prayers as you enter the chemo hut just one more time.
    Love you, Evie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Kerry,

    God is so good, isn't He? I am glad that you felt and continue to feel such joy. I read once that our peace doesn't come from what surrounds us, but the God who is in us. I am confident that our joy is the same.
    I am praying that you continue to tolerate your side effects well. I am so glad that five treatments are behind you. I am looking forward to the end of your chemo treatments.
    I pray that your day is filled with joy, joy joy!
    Take care of yourself, Kerry.
    Remember how much I love you.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post...thank you for spreading JOY :)

    We have really enjoyed the Relay for Life events our family has attended since our Philip was diagnosed.

    Peace and Joy

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sweet Kerry,

    We're praying that you can find the JOY,JOY,JOY in each and every day and be clothed in it like Psalms 30:11 says. I think you are already wearing it well :-) I wish I could have seen all those people dancing in the rain in the midst of real pain and suffering. Only God can give joy like that and it is contagious and awe inspiring:-)

    Keep running, walking, boogieing and dancing toward the breast cancer finish line. We're all cheering you on!!! Remember how much you are loved!

    Your big sis,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete