Thursday, April 2, 2009

4 Chemos Down!!

Hello dear friends and family!

Today I had my 4th chemo treatment! 4 down 2 to go!!!

Once again the "Chemo Hut" was filled with laughter. I had a wonderful conversation over chemo with a breast cancer survivor and her husband. Her name was Mildred. She had been through the whole treatment (including surgeries and chemo before) and has had a reoccurance in her lung, requiring yet another surgery and chemo. We laughed about how nice it would be if the reclining chairs you sit in at chemo had built-in heat and back massagers. One nurse kept joking about starting an IV on Mildred's husband just for fun. Those nurses really have a wonderful ministry. They truly have a gift with people. I'm still learning a few names but the ones who have worked on me alot are Kathy, Beverly, Christina and Judy. My hat (or should I say my wig):) is off to all of them. They are truly a blessing to the patients they help. Each week I will see a former patient stop by for a litte reunion with the nurses. This week it was a young woman who had exciting news...she is scheduled for kidney transplant surgery next month.

Do you remember Angie who I met during my first chemo treatment who was sitting across from me with the same "Cancer Vixen" book I had? We reconnected today in the waiting room and she told me what to prepare for with the upcoming surgery. We talked about how God is already using our cancer as a blessing and how good He is.

Twice this week I have had two people tell me stories of how God has answered their prayers in miraculous ways. One was my friend Tammy whose boyfriend had left his wallet in a cab in New York City. They prayed about it and soon after it was returned to him. It took 3 honest people (the rider in the cab, the cabbie, and the doorman of the restaurant) to get the wallet back to him. A second prayer was answered for a friend of mine whose husband is being wrongfully sued. His new insurance (taken out after the incident) has miraculously agreed to cover their legal fees! It is always such an encouragement to me to hear how God answers prayer!

I had the privilege again this week also of dropping off another batch of shirts to Julie at the radiologist's office. She was so excited to get more shirts and told me about how they brought smiles to the women's faces who were newly diagnosed. That was such a blessing to me. I also dropped off another group to the Surgical Onclogist's office at UT. These were the largest batches I've dropped off yet. It is so exciting to see the ministry growing!!

In closing today I'd like to share a poem I found off the internet that I think sums up how God can ultimately carry us through any tough situation.

His ways are so mysterious
We just can’t understand
What seems to us to be so wrong
Turns out to be His plan

He wants to work His will in us
But it brings much pain sometimes
Just like the dross from gold removed
We too must be refined

Don’t cower in fear when hardships come
Just trust in Him and know
He has a plan for each of us
We’re His, He has control

One day we’ll shine like precious jewels
Because we stood the tests
Not understanding all His ways
Yet, knowing He’d do what’s best

Copyright by Sharon Elaine Carpenter
from cutechoice.com

7 comments:

  1. Sweet Kerry,

    YEA!!! Only 2 more to go. You are doing great!

    Thank you so much for sharing the poem and the prayers that have been answered. God is so faithful, isn't He?

    I was reading this morning in my devotional it was called the "The Most Important Answer"
    It says once we know the answer to the all-important question "Who do you say I am? we have a rock-solid foundation for our lives. There will always be times when we don't know what God is doing. We will always struggle with some aspects of the spiritual life and find some parts of the Bible hard to understand. But even when we're confused or disappointed, we can hang on to what we do know -- that Jesus Christ is Lord of our lives and that He is always trustworthy. When we face questions we can't answer it isn't what but whom we know that counts.

    You have been a wonderful inpsiration in my life and I can not wait to see you this summer. I continue to uplift you in my thoughts and prayers daily.

    Much love,
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kerry,

    I really liked what you wrote. It reminded me that God is always with us in every situation. God placed the cancer nurses where they were even before your diagnosis. He placed many people in your life to encourage you before you knew of the need. It is amazing to realize that God sees our needs and makes a way even before we do. I read once that God has already made a way for all of us; it is simply our job to find it. It looks to me like you found it!
    I am thankful that you had your fourth round of chemo. I hope that your side effects won't be too bad and you will be able to keep going. You can't keep a Booth girl down! We will be praying for you in Virginia!
    I have realized how many people there are dealing with such serious problems. We need to be thankful for every day and each person in our lives. Time is such a gift and can bring such joy.
    I think you should get heated, massaging seats. We want you to be comfortable. Do they dim the lights for you? We wouldn't want your rest to be disturbed. Maybe you should get a manicure while you are sitting there. You might as well make the most of the time. Of course, snacks are always important to me! Let's make a list! Seriously, they are performing such a ministry and making an extremely unpleasant situation bearable. I am so grateful to them for their kindness.
    I am so thankful for you Kerry. I pray for you "without ceasing" and continually keep you close to my heart. I am so sorry you had to enter the world of cancer, but know you will leave it a better place.
    Take care of yourself!
    Remember how much I love you,

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, as I read Lorrie and Mitzi's comments, and as I reflect on what you have written, there are tears in my eyes. Of course, some of these tears are sorrow for what you are facing with this terrible thing called cancer. Some of the tears are for all of us who love you so and feel that we, too, are undergoing cancer. Some of the tears I just cannot explain. When I am in the presense of our Lord, tears come. I know that we are constantly in God's presense. He loves us so much that he holds us and will not let us go. Jesus said, "No one can pluck them from my Father's hand." Sometimes, though, words are spoken or written or deeds occur that just brings our Father closer into our hearts. Kerry, you are the one who is bearing this terrible burden, but yet you are lifting the burdens of so many more. I teach Sunday School each week and try to live a way that will bring honor to God. I know, however, that I, in all the years, have not touched as many lives as you have recently for God. You are a real missionary. You are serving where He put you. I just realized this! Yes! You are a missionary bringing comfort through sharing your experiences of this terrible cancer and your revelations of how God is working in so much of a bigger way. Thank you so much.
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a very encouraging blog. I've enjoyed reading. Will pray for your hasty recovery. You have a very buoyant spirit. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry, you are incredible! I can't believe you can talk during chemo. I just snoozed while Danny talked to those around us. You seem to bubble over with God's spirit. Thanks for sharing what He is doing in your life. We continue to trust and obey. Only two more to go. You are strong and beautiful. You can do it.
    Love,
    Evie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kerry, You sound so good. I'm sure it feels good also to be over the hump. It's amazing to see how God picks you up when you're at a low point. It's so true how everyone and everything was put into place before you had even been diagnosed. I'm still praying everyday for you and for one of my dearest friends mother. This wonderful woman (who we had asked to be a sort of God Mother to our kids even though were not Catholic) lost her middle daughter almost 2 years ago to cancer. She started her chemo last week and so far seems to be doing as well as she can. She has been diagnosed with lymphoma (sp?) in or near her spleen. She is a Christian. But even in this situation when I want to scream Why God? hasn't this family been through enough already? I know God somehow has a plan. He's already put into place the people and things that Brenda will need to carry her through. He is truly amazing!!

    Keep up your wonderful work and ministry. We love you!!!!!

    Hugs!!!!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Kerry
    Just checking in to let you know that you continue to be on my heart, mind and prayers.
    Praying that you are doing as well as you can be.

    Love,
    Lorrie

    PS I gave Mitzi heck for spilling the beans. I have to get her to overcome the fear of "The Look" I have been trying for years she just continues to crack, don't know what I'm going to do with her (ha) Love ya

    ReplyDelete