Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Biopsy

Dear friends and family,

Shannon's biopsy went really well and they found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! YEAH!!! Below is a post I wrote this morning. I didn't want Shannon to read it going into her biopsy and so I waited until this afternoon to post it. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Okay y'all. Grab a hanky and pull out a box of kleenexes. I hate to do this to you but I've been lying awake half the night worrying about my sister Shannon's biopsy today, and I've just had something laid on my heart that I must share with you. This is the story of my own biopsy. It isn't particularly flattering of me and is one of my "darker moments," but I believe it needs to be said especially because it shows how much God has worked on my heart in this last month.

On Thursday January 8 I went in for my mammogram and ultrasound. No sooner had the tech done the ultrasound than a Radiologist appeared. He showed me a normal mammogram with several lymph nodes that looked pea sized. My single node looked like a big old ping pong ball. He took one look at my ultrasound and announced "That enlarged lymph node was not caused by a dislocated shoulder." I expected him to add "in my opinion" or "it is unlikely" but he did no such thing. He acted certain that I had cancer. This made me mad. "Who does he think he is anyway?" I wondered. He striked me as being arrogant, unsympathetic. I really wanted to be optomistic. I thought I'd give him a chance to redeem himself and so I asked "Just so my mind doesn't run away with me, couldn't that enlarged node be caused by an infection or some other possibility?" He looked me straight in the eye and simply said "No."

I am sure he tried to soften the blow after that but the truth is I did not hear it. I only remember him saying something about doing a biopsy the following Wednesday and how a nurse would follow up with me and answer any other questions I had later in the day.

First thing I did after the biopsy was go and see my parents. Everyone had to hear about this "insensitive doctor." Before the day was out the entire Booth & Osborne clans were convinced I had run into the worst doctor ever. Randy even complained to our family doctor who calmed us by saying the Radiologist couldn't know "for sure" and that he was probably just saying the worst to "cover himself."

A few hours after the ultrasound a nurse did call. I was in the dressing room at Stein Mart. (Yes, when I got bad news I went shopping). I complained about having to wait almost a week to do the biopsy. She was very comforting and told me that most women (who were about to restart their their monthly cycle like me) have to wait 2 weeks because it messes with the results. She said the doctor was making an "exception" for me. I did not like being an exception. Through all of this I decided in my mind that CANCER WAS NOT THE PROBLEM. THE DOCTOR WAS THE PROBLEM and that is how I coped for the next week. I did not even tell friends or ask them to pray for me because I'd already decided THAT doctor was WRONG.

On January 16th, I started the day with an MRI. I can honestly say it was one of the weirdest experiences I'd ever had but I will save the details of that for another day. When I came for the biopsy, I was greeted by the nurse I had talked with on the phone. Her name was Julie and she was wonderful. She gave me a warm robe to wear. She must have offerred me a drink and snacks three or four times as she took my vital signs. She chatted with me, distracted me and calmed me down.

When the doctor came in to the biopsy room I was lying on the table. There was an ultrasound tech and student tech already there. I immediately asked him how my MRI results looked. Again he did not sugar coat anything. He said "There are enhancements on both sides but those on the left are more worrisome and suspicious." It was then that I "got it." I said "So you believe I have 'it' in the left side and in the right side I do not have 'it'." He never used the word "cancer." I never used the word "cancer" but from that moment on I (and everyone in that room) knew that I had cancer.I don't blame the doctor for being upfront with me now. I realize he wanted me to stop grasping at false hope so I could understand the reality of what I was up against and deal with it.

The biopsy really did not hurt (so please if you ever have one, take heart). They use numbing medicine. The worst part for me was spending the next 2 and 1/2 hours on that table, being poked and prodded as they took 15 tissue samples knowing the whole time I had cancer. I didn't want to "make a scene" and so I held back the tears and felt completely, utterly alone. Randy couldn't help me. My parents, my sisters couldn't help me. And you know it did not even occur to me to pray at that moment so that God could help me?

But you know He did. As soon as I left the biopsy, Julie was there again. I just let it all out. She hugged me. She told me that she could tell I was a "woman of faith" and that God would get me through it. She kept saying He would get me through it. To make myself feel better I asked her if she'd seen people alot worse off than I was. (And wasn't that a terrible and selfish thing to ask?!) She said she had and that made me feel better (again not very flattering on my part). She took me out to the waiting room where Randy was. She kept checking on us until I was able to leave and she left me assured that she was already praying for me. She called me and sent me a card a few days later. I know deep down she is still praying for me.

And so I've decided when the first round of breast cancer shirts come in, I want to take them to Julie. I'm going to attach a business card with my blog address on them using breast cancer pins and I am going to ask her to give them out to the women she meets that need them. I know she will be an angel to them just as she was to me. So are you crying yet? Can you see though what a difference God has made in my heart just in the past month? Thanks for listening. Lots of love,

Kerry

10 comments:

  1. Kerry of course we are crying,(that's what we do best) but again they are cries of joy not only for the difference in your heart and (it shows so much) but also for the wonderful news of Shannon's test! Praise God! You are going to meet so many people through this journey and I know that God is going to shine through you. What a wonderful testimony you will be for His glory. What a testimony you will be to your daughters.
    Not sure when you are going for your next round of Chemo but I pray the side effects will be minimal and you will continue to feel the hands of Jesus holding you through this.
    Can't wait to see the wig!
    Love ya
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry,

    I'm so thankful to hear the good news about Shannon's biopsy!! Thank the Lord!! I love reading your messages on here. They are so inspiring. I can feel God talking to me when I read your messages. I love your idea about handing the breast cancer t-shirts out to the women that your nurse Julie meets. Even through your own personal trial you are always thinking of others. And, that's one of the things that I love most about you!! I can't wait to see you tomorrow!

    Love,
    Brooke :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, I have sent up so many prayers for Shannon, and her biopsy. Praise the Lord that it came back negative. I know you were worried about her going through this. I have
    one sister, and 4 brothers. Believe me, I love each of them dearly, but my sister and I
    are best friends, and we have some good times together. She is a good christian woman too, and she keeps you in her prayers. She wrote on your blog but I believe it was at the very beginning when you started it. Again, I just want to remind you that I keep you in my prayers, and what a blessing you are to me. I look forward each day to read your blog, and the good things you always write. Take care now. We love you too, in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry,

    I think that God has worked on all of our hearts the past month. We have learned so much about fear, suffering, pain and disappointment. At the same time, we are learning so much about the peace of God, the kindness of others, the encouragement of friends, and the amazing bond of family.
    I always have and always will think that you have a most amazing heart.
    I love you so much, Kerry. Get some sleep!
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry,
    I am so glad to hear that Shannon's biopsy was clear!!!! a lot of prayers are being answered.

    I have thought about you all day. We were pretty slow at work this morning due to the bad weather, but we got a little busier after lunch. After clocking in -to work afternoon clinic, the first patient chart that I picked up was for a surgery clearance visit. We see alot of clearance patients because once a heart problem is diagnosed, a surgeon has to make sure the heart will withstand surgery. Well, this pt was a little different. She was a very neatly put together 74 year old retired school teacher/homemaker. I could tell that she was a woman of faith as well. When I opened her chart, there were faxed medical records from UT surgical associates, and breast biopsy and radiological results. She had never had any cardiac issues, but she recently had a pre-op abnormal ekg. We began to speak to one another and I was questioning her about her medical history. She began to tell me about her recent diagnosis on New Years Eve of breast cancer. She is having a partial mastectomy in the morning, then she will start radiation. I told her about you and what you have been experiencing. I told her that I would love to give her your blog addy, but unfortunatly, she does not have a computer. She was just one of those people that "stands out" of the crowd. She said that she will be praying for you and that she will tell her church about you and that she knows that you will be fine even though she doesn't Know you. I told her about the t-shirts and she thought that was such a wonderful thing that you are doing. If you have any extra shirts, maybe you could send one this way and I will get it to her so she can wear it to her treatments here in Morristown.

    Well, I hope you all have a good night and get lots of good sleep. Tell Randy and the girls we say hi.
    Love,Lori,Jeff,And Tanner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry,

    I am sure you will sleep much better tonight knowing that Shannon's biopsy came back with good results. I want you to know what a real blessing you have been to me. Your faith, your strength, and your courage have inspired and strengthened me more than you could possibly know. As I read about your "coincidences" I think how God works by placing people in our lives at different times for different reasons. At the time we may not know the reason, but God reveals that to us when His time is right. Who knows how many people in days, months, or years to come may say "Wow, God placed Kerry in my life as an example on how to handle my tough situation"! That person could be me! Who knows?! But one thing I do know is that God is using you now to bless many people! I am honored to call you my friend and sister in Christ.

    Love,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kerry,

    I am so relieved to hear that Shannon's biopsy came back clean.. You have been the most selfless (not selfish) person through this whole experience. If I am ever faced with something huge in my life, I hope that I can be 1/2 the woman of faith that you have been. I hope that your symptoms not getting you down this week and that you are able to make it up for the talk on Saturday. Call if you need anything. The shirts are suppose to be ready Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Lord be praised with the news of your Shannons biopsey reports. Isn't it amazing how the Lord can bless you even in the lowly times. You can look at her results as a relief and a blessing from the Lord. I find that sometimes we worry and stress more over others then we do over ourselves. Try to stay focused on getting rest and sleep because these things will help you to have energy in the days to come. I understand your blog about the doctors sometimes our emotional and psychological feelings of denial help us to work things out in our own time. Praise the Lord he makes us so unique and wonderful that we can process things to the best of our abilities and then he takes over. Let others do for you so that they to may get a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kerry, I admit the first time I read your blog last night I read through it very quickly (Jim was standing over my shoulder) and I didnt really process all that you wrote. Today I took my time and as Im writing this the tears are swelling up in my eyes. How many times have all of us done the same thing -not prayed or asked God to strenghten us. But thats how much He loves us. Even in our times of self absorbtion He answers our unspoken prayers or hears our cries. Thank you Kerry so much for your blog -this has been a real blessing for me and so many others. Im continuing to pray for you and that God will use this difficult time as a ministry for those you know but also those who dont know Christ.

    Love,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kerry, I'm so happy to hear about Shannon's test results. I try to read your blog everyday and there is always something in there to remind me of how God is always working in our lives--even when we don't always see it. I think we all sometimes forget to call on Our Father when we get bad news or we get ourselves in a bind and we often forget to give Him thanks for all the things he does for us--in good times and bad. I know I'm guilty of that. Your blog reminds me everyday to just praise Him.
    Love Jane Ellen

    ReplyDelete