Thursday, February 19, 2009

Living STRONG With 2 Down, 4 To Go!

Dear prayer warriors,

I especially felt you guys out there praying for me as I went for my 2nd round of chemo treatments this morning. I had several emails and phone calls that were timed just right and were such an encouragement. One verse sent to me by my wonderful mother-in-law was Phillipians 4:13. "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me." I feel tired but strong on the inside, strong where it matters.

This morning I did some comb overs in a few places to hide my bald spots. I totally know now how men with male pattern baldness feel. I have been sleeping the last couple of nights in some chemo hats to prevent all the shedding on my pillow. I haven't washed my hair in several days because I know there won't be much left afterwards when I look in the mirror. I am ready to shave it off and Randy and I are planning on doing that either tonight or tomorrow night. He's joked about using one of those flobee vaccuum hair trimmers on me for years so I guess now is his chance. I guess there's no where to go but up after that horrible junior high perm my sisters are just now admitting was a big mistake. Maybe it's time I try out my perming skills on them. What do you say Big Sisters? Ha, Ha, Ha :)

My doctor was very encouraged by the shrinkage of my tumor and added that Sponge Bob has now shrunk to half his original size! Isn't that AWESOME?! Praise God!!!

The chemo treatments went well. I am tired but smiling inside. The nurses there are so kind and funny you can't help yourself. There was a older gentleman who told one of the nurses he came to chemo "just to see her." It was very sweet but I do believe he was flirting a little bit. Another hospital volunteer who looked to be in his 70's kept coming up to me, bringing me warm blankets and ice cream. You'd be surprised by all the smiling and laughing that goes on there. It is heartwarming. There is sadness too though. Like the man who can't keep any food down but Jello. Or the woman my age who had to be brought in on a wheelchair. They say the fatigue builds with each treatment. I am planning on walking to each of my treatments.

The past few years I've seen many of those yellow bracelets that say "Live Strong." Today I feel like I am doing that. Another verse also comes to my mind Joshua 1:9"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged for your Lord God will be with you wherever you go."(NIV) He was with me in that chemo room today and he's with you wherever you are. So LIVE STRONG!! Lots of love,

Kerry

6 comments:

  1. You are my hero!! I am simply amazed by you with each post you make. There is no whining and no complaining (which is what I would be doing).. I pray that as this chemo runs through your body that it will destroy the cancer inside of you. With as much progress as you have had with one treatment, I just know Spongebob is going to be gone after this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sis,

    I have been thinking about you all day. Mom and dad said you looked tired. I am glad your second round of chemotherapy is over. I am so excited that your tumor and lymph node has shrunk! That is great! I know you won't feel good for a while so remember I am praying for you.
    So Randy is going to shave your hair? Does he have experience? Maybe you should check his qualifications. Of course, you didn't do that when I gave you the perm (I knew it was a mistake to mention that). Oh well, he can't do a worse job then I did!
    I know you can do this Kerry. You are doing such a great job. I know you will get past this and get better. You hang in there and remember how many people love you and are praying for you.
    I am so proud of you, Kerry. I think you are just "fab" (even without the sunglasses and definitely without the perm).
    Remember how much I love you,
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,

    So glad to hear that SpongeBob has shrunk!! He and the Bikini Bottom Bunch can take a hike!!:)I am sorry that you are tired. I know without a doubt that you will walk into every treatment. With your determination and the Lord's amazing power, there is nothing you can't do! I am sorry that you are losing your hair and that you have to shave your head. I know that it would be very hard for me to lose my hair. However, we both know that the hair loss will be temporary and that it will grow back as beautiful as ever. I have been thinking about that perm Shannon and Mitzi gave you years ago. I think this summer when you come to King George we should do some hair styling on them!! What do you think? I am sure we could come up with some creative things to do.....perhaps vibrant colors(hot pink, orange,etc....) Kerry, as today draws to a close I pray that you will find peaceful sleep in the quietness of the night. Soak in the angelic goodnight kisses from your beautiful daughters and have wonderful, sweet dreams. Love you lots,

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry,
    Only 4 more to go!!!!Praise God the tumor has shrunk.

    You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers dailey.

    Keep running the race girl you almost have it licked. We are cheering you on and running the race with you in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love ya
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kerry,
    I am so excited to hear that Sponge Bob is half the size he was. That is such a huge answer to prayer!!! You obviously are taking the right course of treatment to see such wonderful results so quickly :-) I am so glad that God is answering that prayer and those cancer cells are being eradicated!!!

    We will continue to pray that you can live strong as in Joshua 1:9. We will pray that you won't have side effects at all like what you saw in the chemo ward. Their situations are probably very different from yours. I really think you will walk strong with your head held high to each and every treatment :-)

    I'm not sure about this plot in King George to style Mitzi's and my hair with vibrant colors:-( I personally hate pink, I look like I have orange skin. I think that I need to point out that I was not an active participant in this perm at all!! I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I think Shelly and the King George prayer warriors should let their creative juices flow elsewhere, anywhere else but in my hair :-) Actually, I bet Mitzi wouldn't mind it much if it's washable :-) We could have a lot of fun doing Mitzi's beautiful hair!!!

    We love you dearly Kerry and God will be there every step of the way. We will help you "Live Strong" when you may not feel up to it.

    Your big sis,

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry, I just read this verse: Isaiah 66: 13A -"As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you" (NIV) Isn't God so good. He has promised so much to us, his children.

    Now, you must promise me something. If you talk Mitzi and Shannon into the vibrant colors - and I am sure they both will have a very hard time saying no if you really, really want to give them these new hair styles, color and all - please post the pictures.

    Love,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete