Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What a Feeling! Nodule Announcement! Tony Update!

Do you guys remember that 1980's song "What a Feeling?" Yes, I love that old '80's music. Well I've been feeling like that song all day. I didn't take my nausea medicine today and I haven't needed it. The girls are well and playing upstairs and I am so thankful for that.

There seems to be a pattern to my first round of chemo. The first several days are hard with stomach trouble, coughing and heartburn. The second week I am tired but (as long as I take a nap or two during the day) I feel wonderful. I am hoping that the dose they give you in the first round is the same as they do in subsequent rounds so I can know what to expect. When I run my fingers through my hair, my scalp hurts although those little hairs are still hanging in there. It is a weird sensation. They say I will loose my hair after the second treatment.

Today I'd like to give you an update on Tony D. Alexander. Alot of you remember that I prayed with him at McDonalds the day my PET scan results came in. My Dad found out Tony's case worker and called her. She said Tony is now living at the rescue mission. He is still waiting on his disability application to go through but the case worker assured my dad that she is doing everything possible to help his case along. Please continue to pray for Tony and for that woman I met shaking in the cancer center. Every time I go back I am hopeful that I will see her again so that I can talk and pray with her. I haven't seen her yet, but I am going back on Thursday to drop off two more shirts.

Also today I have an announcement to make! We didn't have a lot of responses on the "Name my Nodules" contest, but all the entries were excellent so here is what I have decided to do. On days when I am feeling bad, I will call Sponge Bob & those blasted nodules either the "bikini bottom bunch" or "big nodule, medium nodule and little nodule" (in honor of our friends in King George). On the days I am feeling bad, I will go with my sister Shannon's suggestion of "dead, deader, deadest and totally eradicated." I thought you guys would approve.

On another fun note, I've decided we should add some more pictures! Please take a picture of yourself. I would love to see your smiling faces! If you have one of our cancer shirts, take a picture of yourself in it and email it to Melony, my web master at knoxhrd@yahoo.com. We have already given away two shirts to others touched by cancer. One went to a little girl with brain cancer who is about the same age as my youngest Leslie. I will be dropping two more off on today at UT. If you know of someone who could use a shirt, please put it in your comments or email us. We see this ministry getting bigger and touching more lives!
To close out I thought I would share with you the note I wrote to those who will receive the shirts. Each recipient will receive the shirt along with the note and my blog address attached by a breast cancer pin. (Thanks Amy Parker for the pins by the way. We are putting them to good use!) Here is the letter:

Dear Brother or Sister In Christ,

You have just received this T shirt because you and I have something in common. Both our lives have been touched by cancer. To have cancer or to have a loved one with cancer is literally to walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death described in Psalms 23. Cancer is bigger than all of us.

But you know what? Early on in my breast cancer journey I learned that God is SO MUCH BIGGER than cancer. He can and will carry your through your own cancer journey. Just put your faith and trust in Him.

I have had many wonderful verses passed on to me. One passage kept coming from several sources, and I cling to it often. It is found in Isaiah 43: 1-2. It says:

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will
Be with you; and through the rivers, they
Will not overwhelm you; when you walk
Through the fire you shall not be burned, and
The flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, Your Savior…”

Please know that everyone within our T shirt ministry will be praying for you. If you have a special prayer request, please let us know at www.kerryosborne.blogspot.com.

May God bless you and keep you.

Your Sister In Christ,


Kerry Osborne

4 comments:

  1. Kerry,

    I cannot tell you how much I admire you and your Spirit through this terrible situation. Each post brings tears to my eyes to see how our Mighty God is shining through you. I pray that you will have one full week of good days before you go back for that next chemo treatment. The music is awesome and it makes me cry even more (you know it doesn't take much to make me cry :-) )..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry,

    I am glad that you are doing well today. I hope that there will be a pattern to your response to the chemotherapy treatments, so you can plan your schedule. We have things to do!
    I am glad you are giving out the shirts. Dealing with a serious illness in yourself, child, or family would naturally make people feel very alone and isolated. I think your ministry is wonderful. I am sorry that you are having to enter the world of cancer, but I know you will be a blessing. You always have been (especially once you stopped breaking my stuff).
    I am sorry that you are going to loose your hair. Remember that to me you have always been one of the most beautiful and perfect people in the world. You always will be. I am so proud of you and so proud to be your sister!
    I was at the YMCA riding (hanging on) to the exercise bike this morning. I had to laugh as I remembered my recent trip to a makeup counter. I have decided that this is a perfect opportunity to research false eyelashes and eyebrow pencils. Anyway, I was talking to a sales lady about eyebrow pencils and she mentioned she had a product that would make my eyes "pop". I said, "Ouch!" and started to laugh. Unfortunately, she didn't get it which made me laugh harder. It is a good thing that mom, Shannon and you weren't there because we wouldn't have been able to get off the floor. (You know we are really going to have to watch our bend at the waist laughter during the "wig stage".) Anyway, I tried to explain what I thought was funny, but she didn't get it. I think I am hilarious, but unfortunately everyone doesn't realize it.
    Anyway, I need to go back to continue my research, but I am embarressed to go back to that counter. (Maybe I will go wearing a disguise.)
    Take care and have a great day.
    With lots of love,
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry,

    I love the 80's music, too! I'm SO glad you are feeling good today! That is wonderful. I hope your weeks in chemo are predictable so you can plan your weeks ahead of time. I know that would help you feel better, too. Like Mitzi, I'm sorry you will loose your hair, too. But, with your beautiful blue eyes, you will always look gorgeous!!

    I will pray for Tony and the little girl with cancer. I'm amazed at your ministry you are doing with your t-shirts. You are an inspiration to me and to everyone that knows you!! I'm sure your t-shirts (and the message you send with them) will touch each person that receives one. I love the message that you send with them.

    See you tomorrow!
    Love,
    Brooke:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry,

    I was diagnosed in February of this year with dcis of the left breast. I was terrified when I got the diagnosis, but as I too have a wonderful relationship with the Lord, I have a safety net I can lean on. I underwent two surgeries and as of today, the left breast is clear. The right one is showing something "abnormal" but not growing at this point, so they have put a watch on it for another 5 months. I don't know what my future holds, but I know who holds tomorrow and am endeavoring to grab hold of every minute with my loved ones that I can. I have chosen to forgo radiation and tamoxifin, and pray that I have made the right choices there.
    I am praying for you and hope that you can take each moment as it comes. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete